Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher in the area of neutrino physics and neutrino detector development. You will participate in the PROSPECT short-baseline reactor antineutrino experiment and a new project working to develop a new generation of antineutrino detectors that operate aboveground for use in reactor monitoring and neutrino physics. This position is in the Rare Event Detection group of the Nuclear and Chemical Sciences Division.
- Contribute and actively participate in the ongoing analysis of the PROSPECT experiment.
- Design, simulate and prototype new reactor antineutrino detectors
- Perform independent research and develop solutions in support of these projects
- Publish results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals and present results at external conferences, seminars, and/or technical meetings
- Travel to and present results at collaboration meetings
- Guide collaboration work and influence collaboration priorities
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Recent PhD in nuclear physics, particle physics, or related field.
- Experience in neutrino physics and/or scintillation detector design.
- Ability to work independently on technical hardware and software tasks, provide in-depth analyses, and develop technical solutions.
- Experience with Geant4 and optical tracking simulations.
- Experience with the C++ programming language
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills needed to effectively present and explain results of scientific research in presentations at seminars, meetings and journal publications.
- Initiative and interpersonal skills with desire and ability to work in a collaborative, multidisciplinary team environment.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: None required.
However, if your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.)
Note: This is a 2 year Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of 3 years. Eligible candidates are recent PhDs within five years of the month of the degree award at time of hire date.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.3 billion, employing approximately 6,900 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.