Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2019 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have multiple openings for a Postdoctoral Researcher to conduct basic and applied research in the Signal and Image Sciences. Specific areas of interest include: machine learning and computer vision techniques for the signal and image sciences sparse signal recovery and compressive sensing, inverse problems and image reconstruction, and video analytics. These positions are in the Computational Engineering Division (CED), within the Engineering Directorate.
- Conduct research in the signal and image sciences which creates and implements new state-of-the-art algorithms and/or hardware systems.
- Design, implement, and analyze techniques in the signal and image sciences.
- Organize, analyze, and present data from research.
- Contribute to and actively participate in the conception, design, and execution of research to address defined problems.
- Pursue independent (but complementary) research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally to the Laboratory.
- Collaborate with others in a multidisciplinary team environment to accomplish research goals.
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals and present results at external conferences seminars and/or technical meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Recent PhD in Engineering, Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, or related field.
- State-of-the-art knowledge of one or more specialization topics within the signal and image sciences.
- Experience using contemporary software and/or hardware tools for algorithm and/or system development in the signal and image sciences.
- Ability to develop and conduct independent research projects with minimal guidance.
- Ability to undertake novel and innovative research as demonstrated through publication record.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills to collaborate effectively in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
- Initiative and interpersonal skills and ability to work in a collaborative, multidisciplinary team environment.
- Proficiency in developing and writing technical proposals.
- Ability to attract funding from technical and scientific R&D organizations.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a one year Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years. Eligible candidates are recent PhDs within five years of the month of the degree award at time of hire date.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.3 billion, employing approximately 6,900 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.