Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2019 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have multiple openings for Machinist Apprentices. You will progress through a 1,000-hour training period (8 six-month STEPS). You will be required to master all competency-based training and education objectives for each training period before a Journeyman Certificate is issued by the State and/or U.S. Department of Labor that could qualify you to transition into a journey level position. These positions are in the Manufacturing Engineering Section in Materials Engineering Division (MED), within the Engineering Directorate.
- Develop and demonstrate a satisfactory understanding of mechanical principles and practical application of shop theory related to the machinist trade, through hands-on training on-the-job.
- Satisfactorily complete all occupational related classroom and job-related instruction during normal work hours and required classroom instruction during off-hours.
- Fabricate/machine parts made from a variety of materials including radioactive and toxic materials.
- Set up and operate basic conventional machine tools.
- Perform standard shop calculations to determine optimum feeds, speeds, and dimensions.
- Perform all assignments in accordance with ES&H, security, and business practice requirements and policies.
- High School diploma or GED with completed courses in shop math and mechanical drawing or blueprint reading.
- Must achieve a passing score on the LLNL Apprentice level aptitude exam.
- Basic knowledge and experience with machine shop equipment, machine tools, measuring instruments, and shop accessories.
- Basic knowledge of common materials, manufacturing processes, and productivity procedures.
- Ability to work in a shop environment, with moderate physical labor, bending, occasional lifting to 50 lbs., working in close quarters, and standing for long periods of time.
- Basic demonstrated math skills including geometry and trigonometry.
- Ability to possess and maintain a valid California driver’s license with the ability to operate common motor vehicles including a 6000 lb. fork truck.
- Ability to become medically qualified to wear respiratory and protection equipment.
- Associate degree in machine tool technology, mechanical technology, or a related field.
- Basic knowledge of CNC machine tools and equipment and Y14.5 geometric dimensioning and tolerancing.
- Basic knowledge of CAD/CAM programming.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam: A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
This appointment is in support of the Machinist Apprentice Program. This is a four year term appointment.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.3 billion, employing approximately 6,900 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.