Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have an opening for an inorganic geochemist to provide analytical chemistry support to LLNL projects involving trace element analysis, as well as assist with nanoparticle synthesis. You will perform bulk sample digestions and dissolutions, purify selected elements from the bulk sample using ion exchange methods, and complete elemental analyses by quadrupole inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry (Q-ICP-MS) and/or high resolution inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry (HR-ICP-MS). This position is in the Nuclear and Chemical Sciences Division supporting the Chemical & Isotopic Signatures group.
- Perform digestion and dissolution using thermal methods such as microwave digestion and/or fusions.
- Perform chemical purifications by ion exchange methods.
- Perform isotopic analyses by quadrupole ICP-MS (Q-ICP-MS) and/or high resolution ICP-MS (HR-ICP-MS)
- Keep accurate and detailed laboratory records.
- Perform data reduction of sample concentrations.
- Interact with and support multiple team members and the principal investigator on multiple projects.
- Provide solutions to problems of moderate complexity.
- Contributes to the fulfillment of technical projects and organizational objectives and functions as a member of a team.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- BS in chemistry, geoscience or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Experience with sample digestion techniques using thermal methods and concentrated acids.
- Broad experience in the analysis of environmental samples for the determination of trace metal concentration by mass spectrometry.
- Experience with selective extraction media and chromatographic separation methods.
- Experience with clean room environments.
- Proficient communication and interpersonal skills necessary to work in a collaborative research environment and to document and present research results.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.3 billion, employing approximately 6,900 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.