Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have an opening for an Engineering/Scientific Coordinator specializing in electronics and/or mechanical fabrication. You will support the Supply Chain Organization within the National Ignition Facility and Photon Science (NIF & PS) Directorate by providing advanced technical and administrative oversight and/or coordination of LLNL projects and procurements for NIF Directorate programs. You will determine supplier sourcing and internal/external fabrication options to purchase materials, parts, PCBAs, cable harnesses, and electro-optical/mechanical assemblies varying in size and complexity. NIF is a 24/7 operational facility and may occasionally require working overtime, shift, and/or weekends to accomplish goals; some work will occur in radiological environments. This position is in the Laser Systems Engineering and Operations (LSEO) Division within the Engineering Directorate.
- Provide advanced technical oversite and coordination of multiple complex LLNL projects and procurements.
- Plan, direct, and coordinate the efficient use of personnel, materials, equipment, and time to ensure proper and efficient operation and adherence to security, environmental, health, and safety regulations.
- Collaborate with scientists, engineers, high-level personnel, onsite shops and outside suppliers to determine most efficient, expeditious, and cost-effective methods to source and/or fabricate complex technical equipment, components, and/or assemblies.
- Provide input and estimates for budgets, schedules, and manpower needs.
- Present information to engineering/scientific teams, suppliers, and program management; provide regular detailed status updates and reports to supervisor and customers/requesters. Anticipate and reconcile supply problems, including technical factors affecting critical milestones.
- Determine supplier sourcing and internal/external fabrication options to purchase materials, parts, PCBAs, cable harnesses, and electro-optical/mechanical assemblies. Oversee submission and tracking of orders (Procurement Technical Release Representative), supplier qualification, and the management and tracking of optical production contracts.
- Perform advanced technical assignments.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical/Electronic Engineering technology or equivalent combination of education and significant related experience.
- Advanced skills and understanding of PCBAs, cable harnesses, and electro-optical/mechanical assemblies and other relevant technologies and processes to coordinate fabrication and test of complex electronic, mechanical, and/or electro-optic systems and provide solutions to problems.
- Advanced understanding of the acquisition process; approval, bid, award, inspection/ acceptance, receive, reconciliation, close-out; ability to engage the LLNL Procurement staff.
- Leadership skills and experience mentoring others in On-The-Job training, with advanced technical skills specific to assignment.
- High-level interpersonal, organizational, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Significant experience performing project planning, budgeting, and manpower planning.
- Significant experience working in a multi-disciplinary project environment with simultaneous commitments to performance, cost, and schedule.
- Advanced written, verbal, feedback, and presentation communication skills.
- Knowledge of ISO 10110 and ASME Y14.5M and/or ANSI International Electronic Standards.
- Electronics: Journey-level skills with a minimum of 10 years’ experience in electronic procurement or as an electronic technician and/or experience with electronics shop processes.
- Mechanical: Journey-level skills with a minimum of 10 years’ experience in mechanical fabrication procurement or as a machinist, sheet metal worker or equivalent mechanical fabrication shop experience.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.3 billion, employing approximately 6,900 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.