Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have an opening for a Linux Systems Architect. You will provide technical computer support for systems in a heterogeneous enterprise environment to solve a variety of moderately complex technical problems in a timely manner. This position is in the Information Technology Operations (ITO) Division within the Computing Directorate.
This position will be filled at either the SES.2 or SES.3 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
- Design, develop, and implement shared services, workflows and processes on premises (VMware), using containers (Docker/Kubernetes) and /or Cloud infrastructure including AWS (e.g., EC2, EBS, S3, etc.) or Azure.
- Work cross-functionally to create and document requirements, develop, and deliver solutions.
- Provide systems and public/private cloud expertise across the organization for addressing operational issues as well as supporting engineering activities.
- Design, develop, and implement system applications and infrastructure services including hardware integration, configuration, and software development.
- Modify and maintain existing operating systems, applications and infrastructure.
- Define and document requirements for hardware and software upgrades on platform system components.
- Identify deficiencies in current system designs and recommend solutions. Identify system scaling limitations and recommend and implement improvements.
- Investigate, evaluate, and recommend emerging technologies to improve service, reduce cost, and improve scalability.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In Addition at the SES.3 Level
- Manage multiple advanced parallel tasks and priorities of customers and stakeholders to ensure deadlines are met, while leveraging team members’ skills.
- Apply in-depth technical expertise to solve complex technical problems and develop solutions using judgment in determining methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria.
- Develop tools and procedures to facilitate complex automation efforts as well as cross-platform/environment monitoring solutions.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Business Administration with a concentration in Computer Information Systems, or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience (e.g., approximately 7+ years).
- Experience with Linux fundamentals including TCP/IP networking and common infrastructure services (DNS, DHCP, SNMP, NTP, HTTP, LDAP, Kerberos, Radius, SMTP).
- Experience with configuration management tools (Puppet, Chef, Ansible).
- Experience with software performance tuning, configuration optimization, packaging (RPM), and systems integration.
- Experience programming with scripting languages (e.g., Perl, Python, Shell, PHP).
- Experience with virtualization technologies including hypervisors (e.g., Xen, KVM) containers (e.g., Docker, Kubernetes), and Public Cloud technologies (e.g., Azure/AW) including security, compliance, and automation.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
- Ability to participate in quarterly weekend and off-hour support for outages with the ability secure and maintain a Q level security clearance.
In Addition at the SES.3 Level
- Significant experience in all phases of the software development lifecycle.
- Significant experience with security and configuration standards (CIS, STIGs or equivalent).
- Experience as a technical project leader.
- Database installation and management experience (e.g., MySQL, MariaDB, Oracle, PostgreSQL).
- Professional Certifications (e.g., VMware VCA or VCP-DCV, CompTIA A+, RedHat RHCSA, Ansible AWS).
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.1 billion, employing approximately 6,800 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.