Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have multiple openings for Mechanical and/or Electro-Mechanical Design Drafters or Designers to support new and on-going experiments and facilities for various programs at LLNL’s Site 200 and Site 300 (Tracy, CA). You will provide design and drafting support including electronic and mechanical design, drawing and data management of complex control/diagnostic systems and sub systems. You will support the Firing Area Test Facilities and Nuclear Weapon Engineering (NWE) Stockpile Support Test Facilities. These positions are in the Defense Technologies Engineering Division (DTED)/Weapon Technologies Engineering (WTE) Program, supporting the Weapons and Complex Integration (WCI) Principal Directorate.
These positions will be filled at either the 534.2 or 534.3 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
- Provide general Mechanical or Electro-Mechanical drafting and design support to lead designers, engineering, scientific, and technical staff utilizing knowledge of CAD tools where design parameters and specifications have been established.
- Perform basic calculations to support technical work using standard engineering formulas.
- Process drawings and other technical information using database management software.
- Maintain systems documentation and experimental records.
- Provide graphics and related technical material in support of design reviews, procedures, and other documentation.
- Review completed drawings and other documentation for adherence to LLNL drafting standards and specifications.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In Addition at the 534.3 Level
- Provide advanced Mechanical or Electro-Mechanical design and drafting support where overall design parameters and specifications have been established.
- Contribute to preliminary design concepts for hardware, componentry, and systems including making independent judgment and decisions.
- Estimate scheduling and costs to determine effective methods in design, materials, and time to meet project deliverables and prepare and present technical material for design reviews, procedures, and other related documentation.
- Associate’s degree in Mechanical or Electro-Mechanical Drafting; or relevant degree containing significant science, mathematics, electronics, and engineering coursework with related experience; or Certificate in Engineering Technology, Mechanical or Electronic Drafting with related experience; or an equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Intermediate knowledge of the standards, procedures, and techniques related to drafting including knowledge of ASME Y14.5M Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing Standard.
- Ability to solve moderately complex technical problems.
- Intermediate understanding of function, fabrication, processes, and packaging of electronic systems and/or mechanical hardware.
- Ability to read and follow engineering notes, sketches, drawings specifications, and procedures.
- Effective written and verbal communication and presentation skills.
In Addition at the 534.3 Level
- Advanced knowledge of ASME Y14.5M Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing Standard and proficient use of CAD software.
- Advanced understanding of electrical and mechanical design principles and ability to solve complex technical problems.
- Advanced knowledge in PCB designs, electrical schematics, engineering hardware design, fabrication, assembly techniques, materials, testing processes, and manufacturing methods.
- Experience using CAD, AutoCAD, and database management software.
- Experience using PTC Windchill PDMLink design software.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam: A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This listing has multiple openings; these are Career Indefinite positions. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for these positions.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.3 billion, employing approximately 6,900 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.