Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Physicist/Engineer. You will work on modeling accelerators, plasmas, and/or other technically challenging problems. You will assist in the creation of innovative solutions for multiple programs at LLNL and contribute to the research and development of next-generation Linear Induction Accelerator systems and experimental platforms. This position is in the National Security Engineering Division (NSED) within the Engineering Directorate.
- Conduct research and development in the area of accelerator physics.
- Organize, analyze, and present data from research.
- Contribute to and actively participate in the conception, design, and execution of research to address defined problems.
- Pursue independent (but complementary) research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally to the Laboratory.
- Collaborate with others in a multidisciplinary team environment to accomplish research goals.
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals and present results at external conferences seminars, and/or technical meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Recent PhD in Physics, Engineering, or related field.
- Experience with particle-in-cell codes or multi-physics codes.
- Ability to perform as an innovative physicist with a broad range of experience in simulation design and execution.
- Ability to develop independent research projects as evidenced through publication of peer-reviewed literature.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills to collaborate effectively in a team environment and to present and explain technical information.
- Initiative, interpersonal skills, and ability to work in a collaborate, multidisciplinary team environment.
- Familiarity with accelerator beam dynamics.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a one year Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years. Eligible candidates are recent PhDs within five years of the month of the degree award at time of hire date.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.3 billion, employing approximately 6,900 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.