Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have an opening for an experienced DevOps Engineer to develop and support a robust, scalable, and operational infrastructure that enables 24x7 operations. This position is in the Global Security Computing Applications (GS-CAD) Division in Computing, matrixed to the Global Security Directorate.
This position will be filled at either the SES.2 or SES.3 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
- Contribute to the architecture of a DevOps infrastructure that meets requirements for 24x7 uptime, and efficient, frequent software delivery.
- Function as a team member while architecting, implementing, and managing infrastructure utilizing configuration management tools, such as Ansible or Puppet, to configure Linux cluster environments that implement moderately complex operational and security requirements.
- Identify, design, implement, and manage Docker/Kubernetes virtualization infrastructure in Linux, to support moderately complex to complex operational, development, and security requirements.
- Investigate and participate in the deployment of infrastructure monitoring, alerting and logging tools for the DevOps infrastructure.
- Document and version control the IT infrastructure, using Git and Confluence; track/report work status in tickets using JIRA.
- Support and suggest solutions to improve our tools for continuous integration and automating our cluster deployments.
- Implement automation tools to help with deploying, troubleshooting and maintaining cluster environments.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In Addition at the SES.3 Level
- Support and troubleshoot object storage and cluster storage technologies, such as Ceph, Rook or Minio.
- Manage multiple Docker/Kubernetes and virtualization infrastructures in Linux, across multiple networks with varying security requirements, to support varying workloads.
- Extend Kubernetes to help simplify usage and operations.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Computer Information Systems, or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Broad experience providing innovative approaches and applying new technologies to broadly defined tasks and projects.
- Comprehensive knowledge of and experience distributing and enforcing standard configurations for clusters leveraging configuration management tools such as Ansible or Puppet.
- Broad experience interacting with computer security personnel to provide input to computer security plans, ensuring computer security compliance, monitoring systems for general health, security incidents, and other events, and developing security configurations that meet cyber requirements.
- Experience performing Red Hat and Debian based Linux system administration in a moderately complex to complex server environment, including tasks such as installation, performance tuning, networking, security, troubleshooting, monitoring, backup/archiving and hardware replacement
- Broad experience with software development or system administration using scripting languages (e.g. Python, Bash, Perl, Ruby, Groovy, etc.).
- Sufficent interpersonal skills necessary to interact with all levels of personnel and ability to work independently, under limited direction, in a multi-disciplinary team environment.
In Addition at the SES.3 Level
- Advanced knowledge of and significant technical experience with Linux operating systems, virtual environments, and/or related hardware.
- Advanced analytical skills to analyze complex systems and networks.
- Significant experience as a technical lead on advanced projects, achieving positive results, and driving projects to closure, on time and on budget.
- Experience with configuration management systems such as Ansible, Puppet, Chef or Salt.
- Experience with Virtual environments (Vagrant, VMware or Ovirt) and/or containerized environments (Docker or Kubernetes).
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.3 billion, employing approximately 6,900 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.