Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
Science and Technology on a Mission!
For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place.
We have an opening for an Industrial Hygienist on Team 1 in the Environment, Safety and Health (ES&H) Directorate. You will provide comprehensive industrial hygiene (IH) support to various LLNL programs as well as provide support and guidance to other ES&H team members in the area of IH.
This position will be filled at either the TSS.2 or TSS.3 level, depending on the skills of the selected candidate. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if the candidate is hired at the higher level.
- Provide comprehensive IH support and perform the following duties for LLNL programs in specific areas of assignment in collaboration with an experienced Industrial Hygienist.
- Conduct building inspections and evaluate workplace environments to identify potential health hazards, recommend corrective actions and provide IH technical assistance at both on-site and off-site scenes of emergencies.
- Write and review technical reports and review new safety and health standards; prepare IH related safety documentation including Hazards Control and Assessment Forms, personnel exposure reports, etc.; develop and present safety courses in IH or related topics.
- Evaluate materials for health effects through literature searches and/or coordinate and conduct special studies on potential occupational health problems.
- Refer employees to Health Services for medical surveillance, when appropriate, based on potential or actual occupational exposure; investigate reports of occupational illnesses that are referred by Health Services.
- Provide oversight to the health and safety technicians on IH sampling, discipline action plan duties, and program concerns related to industrial hygiene; develop an IH Discipline Action Plan (DAP) for the area(s) covered.
- Review sample results and make applicable recommendations to the program to control associated hazards.
- Review and evaluate health and safety standards; designs for new experiments and facility modifications.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In Addition at the TSS.3 Level
- Independently provide advanced IH support for LLNL programs in specific areas of assignment.
- Mentor less experienced personnel.
- Represents the organization as the technical resource on tasks and projects.
- Bachelor’s degree in industrial hygiene or related field or equivalent level of demonstrated knowledge, relevant previous experience, and demonstrated ability to perform independent work.
- Previous relevant experience in laboratory research and training, conducting gap analysis, reviewing new health and safety standards, providing technical direction/leadership to health and safety staff on IH related matters, (e.g., sampling, discipline actions plans), providing emergency response support and participation in investigations of incidents or accidents.
- Comprehensive knowledge of federal regulations and other consensus organizations.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and to present and communicate technical information to all levels of management both internal and external to the Laboratory, including regulatory agencies and key stakeholders.
- Analytical, decision-making and problem-solving skills to evaluate, interpret, negotiate, recommend and implement actions/solutions for moderately complex problems.
- Effective organizational skills with attention to detail necessary to handle multiple moderately complex tasks in a demanding environment with conflicting priorities, tight and changing deadlines, and frequent interruptions while providing high-level customer service and good follow through.
- Experience working independently and in a team environment with a broad cross section of people and organizations, managing complex projects, and meeting schedules.
- Ability to become medically qualified to wear respiratory and protection equipment.
In Addition at the TSS.3 Level
- Significant experience and demonstrated ability to lead independent work in comprehensive IH, laboratory research and training, conducting gap analysis, reviewing new health and safety standards, providing technical direction/leadership to health and safety staff on IH related matters, providing emergency response support and participation in investigations of incidents or accidents; and advanced knowledge of federal regulations and other consensus organizations.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and to present and communicate technical information to all levels of management both internal and external to the Laboratory, including regulatory agencies and key stakeholders.
- Advanced analytical, decision-making and problem-solving skills to evaluate, interpret, negotiate, recommend and implement actions/solutions for complex problems.
- Master’s degree in Industrial Hygiene or related field.
- Certification by the American Board of Industrial Hygiene (CIH).
- Knowledge of DOE Orders.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam: A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.3 billion, employing approximately 6,900 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.