Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have an opening for a Geospatial Information Systems (GIS) Analyst to contribute across a broad spectrum of mission applications at the Laboratory. You will develop and integrate GIS and data analysis tools, addressing operational system applications, while working with members of a dynamic multi-disciplinary team of scientists, computer scientists, engineers, and Information Technology (IT) staff. This position is in the Enterprise Applications Services Division within the Computing Directorate and in support of the Livermore Information Technology (LivIT) Business Enablement Program Area.
- Facilitate information sharing, analysis, and decision making through a geographic information system (GIS).
- Collaborate in the development of advanced custom mapping interfaces and transform data to/from GIS formats
- Create comprehensive critical infrastructure maps of areas of interest.
- Develop training materials and perform demonstrations.
- Provide solutions to complex problems that require in-depth analysis of tangible and intangible factors and the creative use of establish and/or innovative methods.
- Guide the completion of projects and contribute to the development of organizational goals.
- Represent the Laboratory as a primary technical contact on tasks and projects.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Geography, Geophysics, Geospatial/Land/Urban Planning, Civil Engineering, or a related field or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Significant experience performing complex GIS analyses utilizing advanced geospatial technologies and ability to obtain and maintain certification as a GIS Professional (GISP).
- Advanced knowledge of desktop GIS, as well as expertise with GIS platforms, CAD, ETL, and software development tools, (e.g. Esri, Esri Portal, Survey123, , AutoCAD, Safe FME, or other open source frameworks).
- Advanced application and development of technical, industry best practices and/or business principles, theories, concepts, and techniques to independently contribute to scientific or technical projects using creativity and innovation.
- Experience using GIS toolsets in conjunction with utility and physical engineering mapping.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment, prepare and present proposals and explain and advise management with recommendations for appropriate targeted application areas.
- Knowledge of LIDAR technology, data format (LAS), and processing tools.
- Knowledge of java script coding in relation with ESRI/GIS for building and enhancing GIS applications.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.3 billion, employing approximately 6,900 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.