Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have an opening for a Senior 3D Generalist to create visualizations for the Lab’s scientists and engineers. You will be generating a broad range of visual products (including advanced 3D illustrations and animations, live-action video compositions, and interactive applications and simulations), collaborating with researchers in multiple scientific areas (such as biology, physics, chemistry, advanced manufacturing, and high-performance computing), for a wide variety of audiences (ranging from senior scientists to government officials to the general public). This position is in the Technical Information Department in the Business Directorate.
- Conceptualize and effectively design, plan, and produce complex 3D illustrations/animations, video compositions (including live-action video), and interactive applications/simulations.
- Set and uphold superior standards of quality and production across all projects including maintaining consistency of design style through all phases and facets of each project.
- Develop previsualizations (storyboards, animatics, 3D mockups) for complex animations and multimedia projects.
- Act as a point of contact for clients and deliver quality customer service. Receive work and meet with customers to understand their requirements and schedules including defining time and cost estimates for scope of work.
- Manage project production from start to finish including coordinating work with other team members estimating time and budget and setting production schedules.
- Optimize tools and workflow to improve efficiency of production.
- Provide guidance and assistance to other animators.
-Work with multi-disciplinary teams (edit, design, web) on special projects calling for visual content creation.
- Research new technology and give presentations on new topics as they apply to animation practices and make hardware and software purchase recommendations.
- Associate of Arts degree in multimedia, animation, or related field, or equivalent combination of education and significant related experience.
- Experience in conceptualizing and effectively designing, planning, directing, and coordinating production of multiple and complex 3D illustrations and animations including working across the 3D production pipeline: modeling, rigging, textures/materials, animation, lighting/rendering.
- Advanced knowledge of and understanding of 3D animation development and emerging technologies in 3D visualization.
- Proficient knowledge of and significant experience with Autodesk Maya and with compositing of images and video using Adobe Photoshop and AfterEffects or comparable software.
- Experience leading production of multimedia projects and establishing commitments of cost, schedule, and quality standards.
- Experience in establishing and maintaining design integrity throughout all media, interface designs, and programs.
- Experience identifying and solving problems of advanced scope and complexity to meet specifications for graphics, animation, and multimedia projects.
- Experience working within a team to balance creative expertise with customer objectives.
- Experience working with clients to provide quality visual products and customer experiences.
- Bachelor’s degree in animation or related field from an accredited institution.
- Industry experience in animation or multimedia development, especially of a scientific nature.
- Experience creating interactive applications using Unreal, Unity, or comparable game engine.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.3 billion, employing approximately 6,900 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.