Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have an opening for an Estimating Group Leader. You will provide support to Laboratory projects and programs in the form of planning, designing, estimating, and specifying materials required for job order work by shop crafts or on-site contractors. You will be responsible for defining activities and associated scope, activity durations, logic and interfaces between activities, and resource loading activities. This position is in the Project Management Office (PMO).
- Manage and direct cost estimating staff in preparing take-off and cost extensions from conceptual ideas and plans to an established construction budget and serve as a lead and subject matter expert to others on cost estimating activities; mentor and provide on-the-job training on industry leading cost estimating processes and practices
- Prepare, oversee, and review complex cost estimates; ensure continued maintenance and application of unit rates to quantities, and validate estimates created for internal staff resource hours using standard construction reference material and standards, including CSI UniFormat and MasterFormat
- Establish format, document, and summarize estimate reconciliations, including segregation of cost according to level of confidence and identification of areas of risk; identify improvements needed to the risk/contingency review process, and develop and implement solutions to complex problems.
- Interface with designated management and client counterparts on estimate status, durations, backlog, manpower planning, and outsource forecasting
- Ensure all project work scope has been included in the project estimates; verify all scope, durations, and assumptions included in each estimate and authorize the release of every estimate
- Manage and maintain the estimating system architecture; frequently report estimate status, estimate accuracy, estimating manpower forecasts, and other relevant estimate metadata;
- Attend and oversee division and client estimate reviews; act as a liaison between the estimating staff and senior members of management, both client and internal
- Ensure business sensitive information such as official government estimates are properly distributed and managed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant functional discipline or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Extensive experience directing cost estimating functions, including planning and scheduling, supervising, and training of technical and nontechnical personnel with experience presenting estimate information to client/management
- Expert knowledge and experience of technical processes, engineering standards, state and federal codes, engineering drawings (including reading prints, drawing sketches), analyzing data, generating records, and writing mathematical and financial reports.
- Expert level knowledge of and experience using cost/estimating/scheduling computer applications in order to estimate jobs related to conceptual designs, preliminary design, and for delivering final cost estimate in advance of contract bidding.
- Experience preparing/reviewing contingency evaluation, durations, escalation, reconciliations for estimates.
- Advanced interpersonal and communication skills to tactfully and effectively establish and maintain highly productive working relationships with a broad cross-section of management, technical, scientific, and administrative personnel.
- Highly advanced analytical and problem-solving skills including performing statistical analysis, schedule performance monitoring, variance analysis and computer operations.
- Expert knowledge and extensive experience using Microsoft Office software tools, such as MS Project, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint, and Word, to be utilized in managing and reporting estimate throughput, status and manpower allocation.
- Certified Estimating Professional certification and/or Project Management Professional certification.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of project controls systems, earned value management systems, and cost engineering and estimating products, to include expert knowledge of Sage Estimating (Timberline) and Bluebeam
- Experience working in the estimating field in the San Francisco Bay Area or other high cost area.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.3 billion, employing approximately 6,900 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.