Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have multiple openings for Photonics/Laser Electro-Optics Technologists. You will work in a multidisciplinary team to develop, deploy and maintain complex laser systems in the National Ignition Facility and Photon Science Directorate (NIF & PS). This position is in the Laser Systems Engineering & Operations (LSEO) Division within the Engineering Directorate.
These positions will be filled at either the 531.2 or 531.3 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
- Provide technical support in the design, development, and installation of new laser/optical systems under limited direction.
- Perform maintenance, operations, repairs, and upgrades of existing systems.
- Generate and maintain system documentation including operations procedures and optical configuration drawings.
- Perform periodic maintenance activities on diagnostics.
- Collaborate with Physics and Engineering staff to perform developmental and experimental setups.
- Acquire moderately complex data using computer-based data acquisition and controls.
- Produce supportive documentation and graphics using drafting, design, engineering, and scientific programs on computer systems.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In Addition, at the 531.3 Level
- Analyze complex system performance of high energy laser technology and processes and present data to a peer review team with recommendations.
- Interpret requirements for opto-mechanical assemblies, precision laser alignment and tolerancing of laser/optical systems.
- Serve as a technical lead for engineering principles to solve complex problems using established guidelines, techniques, and procedures.
- Associate degree in Electrical Engineering Technology, Laser Electro-Optics, Physics or the equivalent combination of education and prior relevant experience.
- Experience in electronic assembly.
- Intermediate skills and knowledge of electro-mechanical technology, including general electronics background in both theory and design while applying the knowledge of electronics, software, instrumentation and controls, or electro-optic theory and ability to solve circuitry or system challenges.
- Experience in electronic design, fabrication, and opto-mechanical mechanisms.
- Experience in safe work and business practices.
- Experience working effectively in a multi-disciplinary team environment.
- Possess effective written, verbal, and presentation communication skills.
In Addition, at the 531.3 Level
- Advanced skills and understanding of high energy laser technology and processes with the ability to design complex systems and solutions to problems under minimal supervision.
- Advanced skills with opto-mechanical assemblies, precision laser alignment and tolerancing. Demonstrated high-level technical skills and knowledge of engineering principles to solve complex problems using established guidelines, techniques, and procedures.
- Advanced skills and understanding of photonics/laser technologies and experience working on a technical project team and providing technical direction to others.
- Experience with engineering software tools such as SolidWorks, CREO, LabView or MATLAB.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.3 billion, employing approximately 6,900 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.