Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher to work in the area of Computational Biology and Genomics. Your research will focus on quantifying gene expression as a function of injury and treatment. This position is in the Human Health Sciences group of the Bioscience and Biotechnology Division.
- Conduct research in the field of computational biology and genomics quantifying gene expression as a function of injury and treatment to determine the molecular processes involved in the development and progression of musculoskeletal diseases.
-Design and implement methods to analyze large-scale NGS data, including bulk RNA-seq and single-cell sequencing data, CHIP-seq, and perform integrative functional analysis
- Organize, analyze, and present data from research at seminars, technical meetings, national and international conferences.
- Contribute to and actively participate in the conception, design, and execution of research to address defined problems.
- Pursue independent (but complementary) research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally to the Laboratory.
- Collaborate with others in a multidisciplinary team environment and other national laboratories and industry to accomplish research goals.
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals and present results at external conferences seminars and/or technical meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Recent PhD in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Systems Biology, Statistics, Genetics and Genomics, Biological Mathematics, with emphasis in sequencing technology and large-scale ‘omics’ data analysis
- Documented skills in genome informatics, such as sequence processing, de novo and reference guided assembly, read mapping, and processing transcriptomic and epigenomic datasets.
- Familiarity with the Linux operating system, statistical knowledge, and programming skills in R, Python and/or Perl
- Strong genetics, genomics and molecular biology background
- Ability to develop independent research projects as demonstrated through publication of peer-reviewed literature.
- Proficient verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills to collaborate effectively in a multidisciplinary team environment and present and explain technical information.
- Experience in cell cuture and purification of DNA and RNA purification methods
- Experience with library preparation from RNA and high throughput sequencing techniques.
- Experience in Data Mining and Machine Learning
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: None required.
However, if your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.)
Note: This is a two year Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years. Eligible candidates are recent PhDs within five years of the month of the degree award at time of hire date.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.3 billion, employing approximately 6,900 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.