Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have multiple openings for an experienced, senior level Engineering Design Drafting Checker to perform drawing and model verification to ensure design releases illustrate proper functionality and fulfill program requirements and standards. You will provide design drafting validation support for electronic and mechanical designs, drawings, and data management of complex control/diagnostic systems and sub systems. These positions are in the Defense Technologies Engineering Division (DTED)/Weapon Technologies and Engineering (WTE) Program supporting the Weapons and Complex Integration (WCI) Principal Directorate.
- Provide advanced Mechanical or Electro-Mechanical drafting and design support in examining engineering drawings, CAD database files, and related documents for completeness, clarity, and dimensional accuracy.
- Use CAD systems to validate design layouts and drawing documentation in adherence to LLNL drafting standards and specifications.
- Document and revise existing LLNL drafting standards and specifications.
- Provide feedback and recommendations of drawing and design improvements.
- Collaborate with Drafters, Designers, and Engineers to identify potential issues in preparation for manufacturing or production.
- Maintain close working relationships with staff and program management to ensure timely, cost effective execution of supportive design/drafting services.
- Develop professional relationships with team members to participate in mentoring opportunities by coaching early career staff and learning from experienced team members.
- Uphold commitment in reaching organizational goals by establishing a friendly and collaborative team environment.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Associate degree in Mechanical or Electro-Mechanical Drafting; or relevant degree containing significant science, mathematics, electronics, and engineering coursework with related experience; or Certificate in Engineering Technology, Mechanical or Electronic Drafting with related experience; or an equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Senior level experience in mechanical design checking.
- Senior level experience with CAD software, PCB designs, electrical schematics, engineering hardware design, fabrication, assembly techniques, materials, testing processes, and manufacturing methods.
- Advanced knowledge of the standards, procedures, and techniques related to drafting and/or advanced knowledge of ASME Y14.5M Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing Standard.
- Advanced understanding of function, fabrication, processes, and packaging of electronic systems and/or mechanical hardware.
- Experience identifying design deficiencies and recommending revisions in design layout to responsible engineers or designers.
- Experience reading and following engineering notes, sketches, drawings specifications, and procedures.
- Experience utilizing electrical and mechanical design principles in solving complex technical problems.
- Effective written and verbal communication and presentation skills.
- Experience using PTC CREO and AutoCAD design software.
- Experience using PTC Windchill (PDMLink) database management software.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam: A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: Text revised effective February 26, 2020. This listing has multiple openings; these are Career Indefinite positions. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for these positions.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.3 billion, employing approximately 6,900 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.