Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have an opening for an Estimating Specialist who will develop, maintain, monitor, and communicate comprehensive, well documented, accurate, credible, and defensible cost estimates. This position is in the Project Management Office (PMO).
This position will be filled at either the Q01.3 or Q01.4 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
- Coordinate and establish scoping requirements for the overall cost estimate by Construction Specification Institute (CSI Masterformat) discipline or other specialty, coordinate the timely, systematic, and complete acquisition of estimate support costs of both labor and materials by accomplishing detailed quantity take-offs.
- Prepare and review cost estimates, develop and apply activity-based unit rates, i.e. labor, equipment, and materials to quantities and perform extensions for total cost estimates; ensure estimate consistency with final design drawings, specifications and project schedule.
- Develop complex estimating models including product unit method, capacity, ratio factoring and parametric estimating; ensure unit rates and prices are maintained in estimating system.
- Prepare and develop contingency and escalation evaluation for estimates; assist in the development of value engineering suggestions, coherently explain the basis of estimate (BOE) to customers and management.
-Interact with a diverse workforce, apply constructability concepts to develop detailed cost estimate take-offs, and provide constant feedback to all project stakeholders.
- Reconcile estimated costs versus bid costs to develop more accurate estimates by understanding and tracking current market influences; ensure current information on rates, prices, and trends are fed back into the estimating system.
- Perform job site visits during preconstruction to evaluate existing conditions, and during construction to assure job is being performed as estimated, discuss problem areas as they develop, offer solutions, and support change order validation.
- Define activities, associated scope, durations, logic and interfaces between activities, and assist in work breakdown structure, and resource loading in support of earned value management; ensure estimate records are updated and maintained in accordance with expectations.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In Addition, at the Q01.4 Level
-Oversee the preparation of complex cost estimates; development and application of assembled unit rates to quantities, extensions for total cost estimates, and estimates created for staff resource hours using standard construction reference material.
-Establish format and content of summaries and reconciliations, including segregation of cost per level of confidence and identification of areas of risk; identify improvements needed to the risk/contingency review process, and develop and implement solutions.
-Mentor, review, and advise others on the production and status of schedule network data and participate in developing and presenting training classes and on-the-job training for cost estimating processes and practices.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant functional discipline or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Experience as a multi-discipline Construction Cost Estimator with either a general or specialty subcontractor.
- Knowledge of and experience developing cost estimates for man hours using standard construction reference material such as R.S. Means, Richardson, Sheet metal & Air Conditioning Contractors’ National Association (SMACNA) and National Electrical Contractors Association (NECA) guidelines.
- Experience estimating jobs for conceptual designs, preliminary designs, and developing final costs estimates in advance of contract bidding, for both Design build and Design Bid Build project deliveries.
- Experience identifying, analyzing and solving complex problems.
- Experience using computer-based estimating, take off, scheduling and spreadsheet programs such as Sage Estimating, OST, Bluebeam and several basic software applications such as Microsoft Office products.
- Effective interpersonal skills to tactfully and effectively establish and maintain highly productive working relationships with a broad cross-section of management, technical, scientific, and administrative personnel.
- Effective written, presentation and verbal skills to effectively communicate with multi-disciplined team members and experience pulling information from various sources into an estimating presentation and working effectively on multiple projects simultaneously.
In Addition, at the Q01.4 Level
- Experience mentoring others in cost estimating functions, including planning and scheduling, and supervising and training technical and non-technical personnel.
- Expert knowledge of and understanding of technical processes, engineering standards, state and federal codes, engineering drawings (including reading prints, drawing sketches, reading specifications), analyzing data, generating records, and writing mathematical and financial reports.
- Expert level knowledge of and experience using cost/estimating/scheduling computer applications to estimate jobs related to conceptual designs, preliminary design, and for delivering final cost estimate in advance of contract bidding.
- Significant experience working with a general or specialty subcontractor and working in the estimating field in the San Francisco Bay Area or other high-cost area.
- Experience using software tools such as Sage Estimating, Bluebeam, OST, Primavera P6, Microsoft Project, (electronic take off) AutoCAD, Revit, SharePoint, etc.
- Certified Estimating Professional certification, Construction Management certification, and/or Project Management Professional certification.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.3 billion, employing approximately 6,900 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.