Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have multiple openings for a NIF Injection Laser System Shift Lead. You will oversee scope of work and provide technical support, leading injection laser system shot operations and maintenance tasks, serving as the team point of contact to support the National Ignition Facility’s (NIF) Injection Laser System Operations organization. When not in the control room, you will also develop, test, troubleshoot, evaluate, operate, and maintain experimental, research, and prototype equipment associated with electronic and/or photonics systems within the National Ignition Facility & Photon Science (NIF&PS) Directorate. NIF is a 24/7 operational facility and requires working shifts, and/or weekends, may also require working overtime, to accomplish goals; some work may occur in Radiological environments. These positions are in the Laser Systems Engineering and Operations (LSEO) Division within the Engineering Directorate.
- Responsible for leading shot and scheduled maintenance activities during the shift; provide oversight and guidance to the team for work execution both on the commissioned system as well as in the offline Preamplifier Module Maintenance Area (PAMMA) laboratory including mentorship and leadership for junior members of the team.
- Provide advanced Electronics and Laser Electro-Optics technical support to scientists, engineers, and high-level technical personnel for laser systems as well as lead MOR, ILS and LD shot operations.
- Prepare and work from instructional procedures for repairing, calibrating, operating, and maintaining equipment and systems.
- Participate in developing complex laser systems operations and maintenance strategies.
- Perform maintenance and assist in developing test parameters, troubleshooting and testing materials, components, or systems, identifying problems, and providing input on solutions.
- Identify and provide solutions and alternate approaches to complex electronic and/or photonics problems using individual creativity and judgment independently, under minimal supervision; prioritize and provide work and technical guidance to others checking for accuracy, completeness, and function.
- Independently deploy, fabricate, troubleshoot, assemble, and disassemble complex electronic and/or photonics components and systems; including planning and selecting materials, equipment, and methods.
- Ensure Locos Shift & Problem logs generated by ILS operations team during shift are complete, accurate, and sent to appropriate personnel. Coordinate shift exchanges to ensure oncoming team is aware of system status and ongoing issues.
- Provide status updates to management on maintenance, commissioning, and operations activities performed by team, during shift.
- Establish and maintain a documentation set for the operations team.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Associate degree in an engineering technology such as electronics, photonics, or equivalent combination of education and previous relevant experience in a large, multi-beam laser operations environment.
- Advanced technical skills, knowledge and experience in some aspect of electronic and/or photonics assembly; including troubleshooting, installation, and maintenance in a large, multi-beam laser system in the areas of beam alignment, laser operations, conventional, or process utilities.
- Advanced technical skills and knowledge of engineering principles to solve complex problems using established guidelines, techniques, and procedures.
- Experience interpreting work involving fabrication, calibration, test and/or repair, making recommendations and/or mentoring others.
- Advanced computer skills and knowledge of office computer software, including word processing and spreadsheets necessary to produce supportive documentation.
- Effective written and verbal communication, feedback, and presentation skills including experience working in a multi-disciplinary team environment.
- Experience in safe work and business practices in a 24-7 operational facility.
- Ability to have shift flexibility including working overtime, shift and/or weekends, or other alternate work schedules to respond to facility needs.
- Qualified NIF ILS operator.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.3 billion, employing approximately 6,900 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.