Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
The Nuclear Operations Directorate (NOD) has an opening for a Training Specialist to support organizations within the Directorate. In this role, you will conduct needs and task analyses and assessments to facilitate the development of courses and curricula in the form of on-the-job, web-based, and instructor-led training for NOD employees. The NOD Training Specialist will work in conjunction with the NOD Training Coordinator to deliver a high-quality NOD Training Program.
This position will be filled at either the H04.2 or H04.3 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
- Execute a systematic approach to training, including independently conducting gap/job analyses, designing and developing curricula, and implementing and evaluating its effectiveness.
- Determine the scope of technical training needs by partnering with organizations within the NOD and develop training objectives utilizing instructional analysis, design, development, implementation and evaluation techniques.
- Conduct needs assessment through job/task analyses, interviews, surveys or other means to determine client needs.
- Design course goals, objectives and performance criteria based on needs/job analyses.
- Develop course content, instructional media, examinations and other course design requirements in collaboration with subject matter experts, clients and programs.
- Design, develop, write and produce training curricula using a variety of instructional methods and media, including print, video, instructor-led courses and multi-media/e-learning.
- Compile training related data, track, and analyze training compliance within the NOD and prepare reports to facilitate decision making on training program effectiveness and trainer performance.
- Facilitate or deliver technical training as required.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In Addition, at the H04.3 Level
- Evaluate internally and externally provided curricula to ensure compliance with regulatory requirements, such as DOE Orders (e.g. DOE O 426.2), OSHA, RCRA, Department of Transportation, other applicable Federal codes & standards and the LLNL ES&H Manual.
- Partner with subject matter experts and management and participate in high-level reviews and assessments to ensure alignment between the technical training program and organizational strategies and needs.
- Conduct ad hoc training needs assessments related to long-term, moderate sized projects and develop and implement solutions.
- Bachelor's degree in Business, Training and Development, related field, or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Experience evaluating education or training needs, and designing, developing and implementing interventions using a systematic approach.
- Comprehensive knowledge of and experience implementing and applying learning, training and development theories and technologies through instruction and coaching others.
- Analytical, decision-making and project planning skills.
- Experience working as part of a multidisciplinary team in a technical support environment, collaborating with others, and recommending process improvements.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to interact effectively with others and to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Experience using desktop computers and associated software applications.
In Addition, at the H04.3 Level
- Subject matter expert knowledge and experience using a systematic approach to analyzing, designing, developing, implementing and evaluating training curricula development applicable to a broad range of employees including experience using online instructional development tools, such as Articulate, Storyline 2, Dreamweaver, and video editing, audio, and graphics software.
- Advanced experience conducting high-level reviews and assessments to ensure alignment between the technical training program and organizational strategies and needs.
- Experience developing large scale and longer-term training projects and curricula involving multiple parties and moderate project management.
- Experience designing and developing online products and training programs for scientific organizations.
- Working knowledge of LLNL’s ES&H manual document sections 40.1 and 50.1.
- Familiarity with DOE Nuclear Facility, ES&H, and RCRA requirements
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.3 billion, employing approximately 6,900 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.