Science and Technology on a Mission!
For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place.
We have an opening for an Electrician I, supporting intrusion detection, access control and video systems. You will perform a variety of specialized journey level electrical functions including electronics work on microprocessors, peripherals, and data communication systems associated with the Laboratory's security systems. This position is in the Alarm and Access Control Group (AACG) within the Physical and Technical Security Division (PTSD).
- Perform journey-level electrical work including layout, fabrication, modify, maintain, and repair of industrial electronics controls, security systems, access control equipment, programmable logic controllers and specialized detection systems.
- Install electrical wire-way systems and branch circuits. Troubleshoot and debug complex electronic, communication and system problems. Maintain access portals, x-ray machines, metal detectors, explosive trace detectors and similar equipment.
- Conduct operational and acceptance checks to ensure system functionality. Provide written and verbal reports, complete preventive maintenance requests, and work orders using established procedures.
- Troubleshoot and repair circuit assemblies to component level using oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, data acquisition recorders and similar test equipment. Install and Maintain Closed Circuit Television (CCTV) system, Fiber and CAT5 circuits for Ethernet communications.
- Analyze system performance and make recommendations for continued operation, work independently with system engineers and designers as a member of a team.
- Analyze work request for conformity with NFPA requirements and other Laboratory and PTSD Policies and Procedures.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent. Completion of related apprentice training program or equivalent journey-level work experience in the electrical trade.
- Valid California Class C Driver’s License.
- Basic journey level skills, knowledge, abilities and experience in the electrician trade including electrical codes and regulations. Experience with and knowledge of National Electronic Code (NEC) and OSHA Safety regulations used to perform tasks in compliance with Environmental, Safety & Health (ES&H) regulations.
- Knowledge of electronics and electrical power, security, complex distributed control systems and communications methods.
- Experience in the troubleshooting, installation, use and maintenance of security systems and associated components. Experience in analog and digital troubleshooting and using logical reasoning to perform repairs and operational checks of systems.
- Knowledge and experience with network installation and test equipment (e.g., network auto-tester for CAT5 and fiber circuits, light-meter, and fiber optic fusion splicer) and installation and maintenance of CCTV systems. Ability to work with all the tools of the trade such as test equipment including oscilloscopes, multi-test meters, logic analyzers, and communications analyzers, as well as hand tools such as hammers, punches, drills, band saws, reciprocating saw, conduit benders (up to 2") and electrical construction tools.
- Ability to interpret verbal and written instructions, sketches, prints and schematics and experience working with personal computers and software.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills necessary to use tact, diplomacy, and discretion, as well as the ability to work effectively independently or as a team member.
- Demonstrated ability to lift a minimum of 50 pounds, occasionally lift 50-85 pounds, in a safe and controlled manner and work in confined spaces and heights. Ability to be medically qualified to wear personal protective equipment (PPE), work at Site 200 or Site 300, and ability to work scheduled, on-call and emergency overtime.
- Experience with NFPA codes and standards, in particular NFPA 72.
- Knowledge of electrical and mechanical SCADA systems.
- Demonstrated ability to write reports and complete forms that are concise and readable.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam: A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.1 billion, employing approximately 6,800 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.