Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have an opening for a Mechanical Technologist /Sr. Mechanical Technologist to support the operations of the X-Ray systems used in experiments involving high explosives and energetic materials. Your work will focus on programmatic support of experiments at LLNL’s Site 300 explosive test site, with as needed support at the High Explosive Application Facility (HEAF), located at the Livermore site. Some travel may be required in support of experiments at other locations. Work involves Beryllium, radioactive materials, high explosives, and classified parts documents. This position is in the National Security Engineering Division (NSED) within the Engineering Directorate.
- Provide support to experimental operations of radiography, high voltage, pulse power systems.
- Provide technical support to scientific personnel and other technologists to plan and conduct experiments by the facility, diagnostic equipment, maintaining area controls, assisting with diagnostic alignment, testing prior to experiment execution, and performing data recovery after experiment execution.
- Perform maintenance of the portable x-ray heads including task involving precision assembly, high vacuum, and pressurized gas systems.
- Perform maintenance of the phosphor image plates and scanning equipment.
- Maintain systems documentation and experimental records, including authoring of operational procedures and technical documents.
- Perform facility related and technical functions such as maintenance, testing, upgrades to equipment control, and interlock systems checks which may include occasional travel to support work at other locations.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In Addition, at the 533.3 Level
- Act independently, under minimal supervision, and/or direct others to ensure work is conducted in an efficient manner.
- Propose and implement solutions that may involve advanced technical support for conducting experiments in a manner that improves diagnostic capability and quality.
- Propose improvements to safety, security, and efficiency.
- Associate degree in engineering technology, electro-optics technology, or equivalent combination of education and significant related experience.
- Experience making independent, fundamental decisions regarding a variety of technical problems in completion of work assignments.
- Effective communication, interpersonal, and teamwork skills and ability to work with all levels of management, technical, engineering, and scientific staff.
- Ability to read and follow engineering notes, sketches, and drawings utilizing fundamental knowledge.
- Ability to operate hand/power tools.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs.
- Ability to complete and maintain qualifications as an explosive’s handler, firing table operator, firing chamber operator, high-speed camera operator, and/or radiation generating device operator.
- Fundamental knowledge of office computers, typical operating systems, and typical word processing spreadsheet, database, and computer aided drafting/design software.
- Ability to travel to other locations on occasion to provide technical support as needed.
In Addition, at the 533.3 Level
- Advanced technical skills and knowledge of engineering principles to solve complex problems using established guidelines, techniques, and procedures and experience operating intricate technical software and systems.
- Experience making independent, fundamental decisions regarding a variety of complex technical problems under minimal supervision.
- Advanced level technical skills and knowledge of engineering principles to solve complex problems using established guidelines, techniques, and procedures with ability to propose alternate solutions when appropriate.
- Experience conducting radiography with an emphasis on flash radiography.
- Experience developing film, scanning image plates, and electronically manipulating digital images.
- Experience working with and/or around high-voltage and high-current equipment.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position. Employees assigned to work at Site 300 may be exposed to the organism that causes San Joaquin Valley Fever (coccidioidomycosis).
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.3 billion, employing approximately 6,900 employees.
Site 300 is an experimental test site operated by LLNL. Situated on 7,000 acres in rural foothills approximately six miles southwest of downtown Tracy and 15 miles southeast of Livermore, Site 300 hosts approximately 200 employees with expertise in such fields as engineering, chemistry, biology, and environmental restoratio
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.