Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have an opening for a Quality Assurance and Assessment Engineer to conduct and lead Internal Independent Assessments (IIAs) to assure applicable regulatory requirements, commitments and programs in all areas of the Laboratory are effectively implemented. You will also provide technical subject matter expertise and support related to the flow down and implementation of the Laboratory’s Institutional Quality Assurance Program (IQAP) and Quality Management System (QMS). This position is in the Management Assurance System (MAS) Office within the Director's Office Directorate.
- Plan, prepare and conduct site performance assessments and communicate the results to affected Directorate, Director’s Office and/or DOE as applicable to ensure performance strengths, weaknesses and opportunities for improvement are recognized and communicated.
- Lead the development of assessment plans using requirement source documents including Criteria Review Approach Documents and Lines of Inquiry utilizing various assessment approaches such as documentation review, interviews, direct observation of work, and analysis of indicator trends.
-Perform extensive field observations to include walking down assessment locations, assessing in progress construction activities/operations/drills at job sites, and examining physical artifacts in the field for compliance with requirements.
- Provide technical direction and mentoring to assessment team members to ensure effective communication of all issues encountered during assessments and ensure results are effectively documented in a written report and communicated to senior management.
- Prepare for and serve as liaison for external audits and inspections. Act as a resource on institutional-level contractor assessments that are responsive to the safety, security, environment, health, emergency management, nuclear safety and business operations, DOE regulatory guides and orders.
- Identify Laboratory performance issues, provide interpretation of quality standards and monitor key performance indicators and data for trends.
- Perform other duties as assigned
In addition, at the TSS.4 level:
-Develop creative solutions and innovative approaches to complex issues and provide expert level facilitation of problem resolution including communication to senior management.
-Serve as organization champion in the direction of institutional improvements to the LLNL QA Program and ISO based quality management system.
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical area or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Experience leading and conducting performance assessments to ensure compliance with applicable regulations.
- Experience employing various assessment approaches including performance based, documentation review, interviews, direct observation of work, and analysis of indicator trends.
- Experience in the implementation and assessment of management systems based on International Organization for Standardization (ISO) processes.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical or operational information and provide advice to senior management, regulators, reviewers, and stakeholders.
In addition, at the TSS.4 level:
- Demonstrated expertise leading large improvement projects and organization wide QMS initiatives.
- Proven expertise in problem solving, decision making, and possessing the analytical skills necessary to independently resolve complex and/or sensitive issues and provide consultative direction and innovative solutions that significantly impact the Laboratory’s assessment and QMS processes.
- Experience in assessing and facilitating compliance in highly regulated fields (i.e. nuclear facilities, RCRA/CERCLA operations, or NQA-1 environments) as well as with ISO based management systems (e.g. ISO 9001).
- Experience working with the U.S. Department of Energy and understanding of the DOE contractual relationship.
- Certification as a Quality Auditor and/or Quality Engineer by the American Society for Quality.
- Certified Lead Assessor or the ability to obtain Certification as Lead Assessor by LLNL.
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.3 billion, employing approximately 6,900 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.