Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have an opening for a Computer Scientist within the Software Quality Engineering (SQE) Group. This position is embedded into Advanced Simulation and Computation (ASC) scientific code teams and focuses on scientific software development process automation and tools. You will work with a dynamic multi-disciplinary team of software developers, developing influence and impact on ASC programs for software quality program development and implementation. This position is in the Applications, Simulations, and Quality (ASQ) Division within the Computing Directorate.
This position will be filled at the SES.2 or SES.3 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
- In collaboration with project developers, utilize advanced Computer Science knowledge to implement, acquire, and integrate automated build, test, and release tools to improve and automate the software development process.
- In collaboration with project developers, use comprehensive SQE knowledge of static and dynamic analysis tools and other techniques to improve analysis and testing processes.
- Use commercial and open source tools such as Confluence Wiki, Jira, Git, Bitbucket, Klocwork, LCOV, ICOV, and developing new tools, to provide process automation and automated record keeping.
- Utilize comprehensive knowledge of automated regression testing frameworks and Continuous Integration.
- Perform independent research to identify promising new development tools and evaluate applicability to project.
-Implement project quality practices such as increased test coverage, test parallelism, and software build and configuration management, under limited direction within the scope of work.
- Assure contractual compliance of project to DOE orders and standards, and advance capabilities to advance the complex goal of automating compliance artifacts to the degree possible.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In Addition at the SES.3 level
- Provide technical leadership, and significant, providing in-depth analysis, advising and recommending technical solutions and approaches to complex problems that may not be well defined to effectively execute SQA-driven processes.
- Lead multiple parallel tasks and priorities of customers and partners to ensure complex deadlines are met.
- Exercise independent judgement to define, develop, and implement original solutions to complex problems of a broad and diverse scope at the team or program level.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, computer engineering, or a related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Significant experience in Software Quality Engineering and software development.
- Experience with building automated testing suites using scripting languages, Open Source and Off the Shelf test tools.
- Testing experience, including writing test plans, procedures, and cases, test execution, and test coverage.
- Experience supporting a broad range of application domains, especially scientific computing in a Unix or Windows environment.
- Comprehensive knowledge with SQE in regulated industries.
- Experienced in Risk Assessment techniques.
- Proficient interpersonal skills with the ability to influence others without authority, including demonstrated flexibility towards differing perspectives on the value of software quality practices.
In Addition at the SES.3 level
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information and provide advice to management.
- Advanced analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills to develop creative solutions to complex problems.
- Advanced technical understanding of SCM implementation strategies and technologies
- Master’s degree in computer science, computer engineering, or a related field, or the equivalent combination of technical training and experience.
- Experience working with tools such as Klocwork, Atlassian, Opensource Hazard analysis tools; experience programming in C, C++, C#, Java, and scripting languages such as Python and PERL and experience analyzing and correcting C, C++ and Java code using static analyzers.
- Familiar with DOE standard 414.1D and NAP-401.1, as well as basic knowledge of Nuclear Physics and/or simulation software techniques.
- American Society for Quality (ASQ) or equivalent SQE certification and training.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.3 billion, employing approximately 6,900 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.