Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have an opening for a Technical Engineering Specialist. You will be part of the Documentation and Technical Services (DTS) team that is responsible for document management and control, creating, compiling and reviewing construction- and engineering-related documentation and department documentation. This position is in the Project Management Office (PMO).
This position will be filled at either the TSS.3 or TSS.4 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outline below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
- Review construction drawings that include building systems and infrastructure.
- Provide advice, leadership and assistance to the PMO team to guide the successful completion of projects using best practices; organize, streamline, and update the facility master specification templates to facilitate ease of usability and minimize need to edit for individual projects.
- Develop, maintain, and communicate technical knowledge to engineers and subcontractors to ensure construction documents are clear, concise, correct, and contractually enforceable.
- Mentor coworkers on the development of construction specifications and engineering standards and writing style and language.
-Provide solutions to complex construction and engineering related document management and control issues/problems that require in-depth analysis and frequent use of ingenuity, creativity, and independent judgment to recommend and implement improvements/processes
- Write, edit, and provide document control and management for construction specifications created from templates, engineering and maintenance standards, equipment procurement specifications, safety documents, and facility and infrastructure policies, procedures, and guides.
- Review material prepared by structural, civil, architectural, electrical, mechanical, and design engineers to ensure documents meet engineering standards.
- Develop documents and spreadsheets to track technical information and process information and develop process-flow diagrams.
- Contribute to developing scopes of work, obtaining technical information, and providing information for procurement requisitions.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In Addition at the TSS.4 Level
- Use ingenuity and in-depth analysis to provide advanced and innovative solutions to a diverse range of highly complex construction and engineering related document management and control problems and initiate solutions with minimal supervision.
- Lead and facilitate the development of new ideas and approaches that impact organizational operations.
- Serve as DTS representative and act as the prime consultant on significant projects.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or relevant technical discipline, or the equivalent combination of education and significant related experience.
- Significant experience creating construction and technical documents such as technical specifications or papers.
- Knowledge of engineering principles, building codes, industry standards, contracts, regulations and standards, and the ability to interpret drawings.
- Ability to perform independent technical work using independent judgement and latitude to determine methods, technique and evaluation criteria for obtaining results.
- Significant experience using editing and writing techniques for a variety of media, including comprehensive knowledge of technical language, usage, and style conventions.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite and SharePoint.
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment, and present and explain technical information.
- Advanced problem-solving skills necessary to identify the strengths and weaknesses and provide alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems, and effectively communicate solutions to others.
In Addition at the TSS.4 Level
- Expert knowledge of complex construction and engineering documents and significant experience editing technical documents using expert knowledge of editing/writing techniques including technical language, usage and style conventions.
- Ability to use independent judgment and considerable latitude to establish and accomplish objectives.
- Expert written and verbal communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment, present and explain technical information, and advise senior management and stakeholders.
- California licensed Professional Engineer (PE) or Licensed Architect.
- Experience using CSI MasterFormat and SectionFormat.
- Experience with document management and control systems, version control, and databases in dynamic website development.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: Relisted position. Originally listed on July 29, 2019. Previous candidates need not reapply.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.1 billion, employing approximately 6,800 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.