Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have a part-time opening for a Signal and Image Processing Engineer. You will perform algorithm research, development, and implementation in the signal and image sciences. You will be responsible for the development and implementation of signal and image processing algorithms in software and/or hardware in support of Laboratory programs. Specific topics of interest include but are not limited to: state estimation and multitarget tracking; embedded systems for digital signal processing, image and video processing; machine learning; pattern analysis; control system design and analysis; communications and radar systems; nondestructive evaluation techniques; remote sensing; radiation detection; and similar topics associated with the signal and image sciences. This position is in the Computational Engineering Division (CED), within the Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either the SES.2 or SES.3 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
- Research, develop, and apply solutions to problems in the signal and image science that are of programmatic interest.
- Implement algorithms in software and/or hardware as appropriate.
- Maintain a close interface with programmatic and project elements to ensure effective teamwork.
- Document efforts in technical reports, publish papers in peer-reviewed journals, and present results at scientific meetings and conferences.
- Participate in field deployments, exercises and sponsor visits.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In Addition at the SES.3 Level
- Write and present papers, reports, proposals, and document results and provide advice to management.
- Serve as primary technical contact on tasks and projects applying advanced technical knowledge and methodologies to guide successful completion of a project and meet organizational goals.
- Mentor junior staff to develop their capabilities in the signal and image sciences.
- Master’s degree in electrical engineering, statistics, mathematics or a related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Comprehensive knowledge and experience in one or more topics within the signal and image sciences.
- Experience coding algorithms in C, C++, Matlab, Python, or similar language used in the signal and image sciences.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills enabling effective technical presentations and lucid technical reports.
- Collaboration skills that promote effective teaming environments.
- Ability to travel to customer locations and participate in field deployments and exercises.
In Addition at the SES.3 Level
- Advanced knowledge and significant experience of one or more specialization topics within the signal and image sciences.
- Experience effectively managing concurrent technical tasks with contending priorities.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to present and explain technical information to sponsors and provide advice to management.
- PhD in electrical engineering, statistics, mathematics, or a closely related field.
- Experience in leading teams in the research, development, and implementation of signal and image processing algorithms.
- Experience in crafting successful research and development proposals in the signal and image sciences.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a 60% time appointment. This is an At Will appointment. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.3 billion, employing approximately 6,900 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.