Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have an opening for a Technical Supervisor/Technical Contributor. You will perform a complete range of both programmatic activities and administrative management of technical staff in support of the Initiation Systems Group (ISG). ISG is responsible for designing, prototyping, and testing of detonators, safing, and firing systems in support of our nation’s nuclear stockpile. This position will be located at the High Explosives Applications Facility (HEAF) with periodic travel to other NNSA/DOE sites. This position is in the Defense Technologies Engineering Division (DTED), within the Engineering Directorate and supports the Weapon Technologies and Engineering (WTE) Program.
This position will be filled at either the 390.1 or 390.2 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
- Provide direct administrative supervision to mechanical, electronics, and operations staff, and other matrixed support personnel in performance evaluation, peer grouping, and salary management processes.
- Provide technical leadership of the engineering design and fabrication process and ensure the quality is produced in adherence to standards. Create, maintain, and execute shot schedules for ISG experiments.
- Collaborate with the technical staff to apply innovative technical expertise on the definition of functional requirements, solve complex technical and resource problems, and evaluate alternative design concepts consistent with schedule, cost, and material limitations.
- Participate in planning, budgeting, decision making, and change processes.
- Maintain close working relationships with group leaders and program management to ensure timely, cost effective execution of supportive engineering services.
- Develop, prepare, present, and participate in required design reviews, reports, procedures, and other communications in support of technical and administrative assignments.
- Foster staff development and participate in hiring activities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In Addition at the 390.2 Level
- Provide highly advanced technical and related administrative expertise in the areas of applied engineering technology including planning, design, fabrication, project support, testing, and evaluation where the qualitative and quantitative complexity of the project assignment demands original and innovative problem solutions.
- Represent division and program at meetings, briefings, and other activities both internal and external to the Laboratory.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering Technology or an equivalent combination of education and significant related experience.
- Experience providing administrative and technical leadership through the effective utilization of people and resources.
- Significant experience in engineering project leadership, including work planning, scheduling, drawing requirements, and reporting available.
- Familiarity with Work Planning and Control processes and documentation.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills to interact effectively with people at all levels and ensure that program requirements are conveyed in a timely manner.
- Ability to obtain and maintain certification as a Mechanical Competent Worker.
- Ability to travel.
In Addition at the 390.2 Level
- Extensive experience working in multidisciplinary teams.
- Substantial experience making independent fundamental decisions regarding highly complex technical problems.
- Extensive experience meeting project requirements and deadlines.
- Experience preparing performance appraisals and participating in ranking and salary processes.
- Experience with design, testing, and handling of high explosives or high explosives assemblies.
- Experience with capacitive discharge units (CDU), electronic firing systems, or high-speed diagnostics.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam: A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at time of hire.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.3 billion, employing approximately 6,900 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.