Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have an opening for an Associate Division Leader (ADL) / Associate Program Director (APD) with responsibility for providing the technical leadership and management of the Enabling Technology program element of the Weapon Technology and Engineering (WTE) program and line-management responsibilities. You will direct a staff of both Defense Technologies Engineering Division (DTED) and matrix employees to include scientific, technical, and administrative personnel. The APD role will include responsibility for managing and integrating the work of multidisciplinary teams to successfully complete programmatic deliverables with multiple sponsors, and with funding sources from the Engineering-managed parts of NA-115. The ADL role will include line-management responsibilities for the groups and direct supervision of the group leaders within the Enabling Technology element of DTED. This position is in the Defense Technologies Engineering Division (DTED), within the Engineering Directorate.
- Initiate and manage a clear framework for accomplishing division, programmatic, and institutional goals in the development of business activities.
- Provide management oversight, and technical direction and leadership for the WTE Program Enabling Technology efforts, including its sub-elements including all non-system-specific WTE-directed engineering R&D.
- Develop a staffing requirements plan for program element, recruit new talent, and strategically invest in Division personnel to foster an agile, motivated, and well-trained workforce, ensuring the highest quality personnel are recruited and retained. Provide personnel supervision for all DTED Division Enabling Technology activities, including technical guidance and review, professional growth and leadership development, evaluations, and salary management.
- Collaborate with the DTED Division/WTE Program management team in formulation of initiatives, budget preparation, and strategic planning. Manage the Enabling Technology element budget from all Engineering-managed parts of NA-115.
- Promote strong customer relationships by meeting commitments and exceeding customers' expectations with respect to quality, timeliness, and cost-effectiveness.
- Develop strategic partnerships that are aligned with the NNSA/DOE mission.
- Mentor and coach technical and support staff members.
- Provide leadership and direction to ensure safe and efficient operations in all Enabling Technology activities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or related technical field or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Strong leadership and management skills in a high technology research and development environment, including comprehensive knowledge of strategic planning, managerial and financial practices, and the ability to effectively balance complex technical and budgetary priorities to achieve desired results.
- Advanced problem solving, analytical, technical, organizational, and management skills necessary to independently advise, recommend, and approve appropriate actions and implement solutions.
- Extensive experience making decisions based on aggregate information and the recommendations of others that significantly affect the ability of the organization and Laboratory to achieve its overall objectives and long-range goals.
- Effective communication skills, both written and verbal, necessary to effectively explain, present, negotiate, advise, and influence all levels of management. - Experience managing and leading a large technical organization.
- Extensive experience delegating effectively and to lead, motivate, and build complex interdisciplinary teams to work toward programmatic and institutional goals.
- Extensive experience managing large-scale projects, supporting large-scale projects led by others, and ability to deliver results.
- Possess high degree of integrity, maturity, discretion, and judgment.
- Extensive experience sustaining productive relationships with other divisions, directorates, laboratories, UC, NNSA management, other institutions across the DOE and DoD enterprise, and external advisors and reviewers.
- Familiarity with national security policy issues and with Laboratory and external contacts working these issues.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam: A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at time of hire.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.3 billion, employing approximately 6,900 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.