Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have multiple openings for Software Developers on the Product Development team to support the Security and Protection (S&P) Program within the Security Organization (SO). You will be part of a multi-lab collaboration team responsible for the design and implementation of the next-generation NNSA security system. You will utilize a wide range of software development skills and competencies contributing to the creation and deployment of a system used for the protection of the nation’s high value assets. This position is in the Global Security Computing Applications Division within the Computing Directorate.
This position will be filled at either the SES.2 or SES.3 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
- Design, build, and maintain efficient, reusable and reliable C++ code to support the creation the next-generation security system.
- Support documentation, testing and deployment of produced modules.
- Actively participate in technical team design and code reviews.
- Research and prototype new technologies as assigned.
- Effectively communicate status, blockers and other issues to team leads.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In Addition at the SES.3 Level
- Design, implement, deploy, and maintain software systems using C++.
- Provide solutions to moderately complex problems involving largely identifiable factors.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Broad experience in all aspects of software project life cycle: feasibility, requirements, design, implementation, integration, test and deployment.
- Experience developing software with either C++, C#, JAVA within Linux, UNIX, and/or Windows environments.
- Comprehensive knowledge of code versioning tools, such as Git or SVN.
- Experience writing, maintaining, and troubleshooting moderately complex software.
- Comprehensive knowledge of networking protocols such as TCP/IP and UDP.
- Manage concurrent technical tasks with competing priorities and meet deadlines that are important to project success, while working effectively and independently in a team environment.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills to prepare, present, and document technical information.
In Addition at the SES.3 Level
- Advanced knowledge of continuous integration.
- Experience with the standard library, STL containers, and/or algorithms.
- Advanced knowledge of templating in C++.
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a related field.
- Knowledge of multithreaded programming, general purpose message brokers and protocols (i.e., RabbitMQ, Kafka, MQTT, AMQP), Real Time processing, concurrency, and multi-tasking/threading, and object-oriented software design and implementation.
- Experience with Git, as well as Python.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This listing has multiple openings; these are Career Indefinite positions. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for these positions.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.3 billion, employing approximately 6,900 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.