Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have multiple openings for Product Realization Engineers. Along with the Product Realization Team (PRT) technical lead, PRT coordinators, and other engineers, you will be responsible for the programmatic deliverables of multiple PRTs in support of the Life Extension Programs (LEPs) or enduring systems. PRT responsibilities may include design and production of qualified hardware in support of these programs, or development and qualification of related equipment and/or processes (e.g. surveillance). These positions are in the Defense Technologies Engineering Division (DTED), within the Engineering Directorate.
These positions will be filled at either the TSS.1 or TSS.2 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
- Manage, update, and release PRT documentation including Project Plans, Qualification Plans, Compatibility Definitions, and Interface Definitions for multiple PRTs.
- Contribute to the effort of developing evidence packages for technical design and programmatic phase gate reviews with NNSA and the Production Agencies (PAs).
- Execute, maintain, and track PRT schedules, milestones, and action items. Regularly communicate project progress and status to management. Support realization of PRT processes at PAs as rquired: requirements, capability development, engineering evaluation, and qualification.
- Prepare Statements of Work (SOW) and coordinate purchase orders with PAs and work with PAs to ensure work is executed.
- Review drawings for technical content and design intent and prepare and release engineering specifications and drawings.
- Conduct engineering testing and data analysis and ensure that data is appropriately documented and archived.
- Participate in formal and informal design reviews.
- Support multi-site PRT meetings and approval of PRT meeting minutes.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In Addition at the TSS.2 Level
- Collaborate with PRT leads and technical team in support of monthly earned value reporting requirements and prepare detailed planning for each fiscal year.
- Develop surveillance plans for components in development and work with PA to standup required capabilities.
- Manage and coordinate execution of engineering testing and data analysis and prepare technical reports, documentation, and presentations.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Knowledge of and experience with requirements development and engineering drawings including geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (GD&T).
- Knowledge of engineering testing process and ability to conduct data analyses.
- Ability to take initiative to develop innovative solutions for successful project execution.
- Sufficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively interact and collaborate with the LLNL weapons program, nuclear security enterprise sites, and federal management staff.
- Ability to travel.
In Addition at the TSS.2 Level
- Comprehensive knowledge of hardware design, fabrication, installation, and commission.
- Experience with managing projects and ability to organize and conduct design and project reviews.
- Experience managing (organize, direct, and monitor schedule and budgets) multiple projects concurrently and to reprioritize and change programmatic direction depending on emergent requests.
- Experience working in the nuclear weapons program and with LLNL’s operations and business processes.
- Knowledge of NNSA’s Technical Business Practice and NAP-24.
- Experience with Engineering Authorization systems for official release of PRT documentation.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam: A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This listing has multiple openings; these are Career Indefinite positions. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for these positions.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.3 billion, employing approximately 6,900 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.