Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have multiple openings for Electronics Technologist/Sr. Electronics Technologist to provide general electronics technical support for various Nondestructive Evaluation (NDE) x-ray, ultrasonics, and data collection systems. The selected candidates will work as part of the team to a variety of Laboratory missions as needed. These positions are in the Materials Engineering Division (MED) within the Engineering Directorate.
These positions will be filled at either the 531.2 or 531.3 level depending on the candidate’s experience and qualifications.
- Provide general electronic technical support to engineering, scientific, and technical staff to plan and conduct experiments at LLNL and other off-site locations and ensure operational readiness of nondestructive evaluation group facilities.
- Design, fabricate, assemble, and disassemble moderately complex electronic components and systems, using work control process and procedure requirements.
- Operate electronic diagnostic equipment, maintain area controls, utilize electronic diagnostic and troubleshooting systems and equipment.
- Prepare and maintain systems electrical design information and documentation.
- Perform electrical systems functional testing to support NDE systems and equipment installation and upgrades, interlock and other related safety systems checks including high voltage systems.
- Responsible for ensuring that electronics support and nondestructive evaluation operations areas are kept clean, uncluttered, and in a state of readiness.
- Ability to support scheduled, unscheduled, emergency, and short notice demands, occasional overtime and travel as needs arise.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In Addition, at the 531.3 Level
- Provide advanced technical support demonstrating complex understanding of electronics.
- Design, fabricate, assemble, and disassemble complex electronic components and systems including planning, equipment selection, and methods.
- Identify, analyze, and provide solutions and alternate approaches to complex electronic problems using independent creativity and judgment.
- Support vendor installation and preventative maintenance activities on NDE and other equipment.
- Successfully complete vendor provided training for maintenance and repair of purchased systems and equipment.
- Associate degree in Electronics, Engineering Technology, or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Experience with electrical diagnostic equipment, maintaining area controls, assisting with electronic diagnostics, testing and operations of low and high voltage systems.
- Ability to read and follow engineering notes, sketches, drawings, specifications, and procedures.
- Ability to obtain and maintain LLNL Competent Worker Qualifications as an Eletronics Worker.
- Knowledge of engineering hardware design, functionality and testing processes.
- Intermediate skills and knowledge of electronic principles with general electronics background in both theory and design of electronics, software, instrumentation and controls.
- Effective written and verbal communication and presentation skills.
In Addition, at the 531.3 Level
- Significant related experience in electronic circuits, systems, theory, and design.
- Advanced skills and knowledge of electronic principles including component to system level understanding of electronics, software, instrumentation and controls.
- Effective written and verbal communication, feedback, and presentation skills.
- Experience working with and/or around high-voltage and high-current equipment.
- Experience working with radiographic imaging systems and equipment.
- Experience with LabVIEW code and Industrial Programmable Logic Controllers.
-Electro-Mechanical Background in Manufacturing or Machines and/or Machine Tools
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.3 billion, employing approximately 6,900 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.