Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have multiple openings for a Linux Systems Administrator to provide advanced technical computer support for systems in a heterogeneous environment to solve a variety of complex technical problems in a timely manner. These positions are in the Computing Directorate.
The position will be filled at the 393.1 or 393.2 level depending your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if selected at the higher level.
- Manage the operations of the Linux storage environments.
- Perform Linux installations, configurations, upgrades and ongoing maintenance activities on bare metal hardware and virtual environments, installation of software releases, patches of the operation system and utilities, third-party products, and open source software.
- Perform installation of software releases, patches of operating systems and utilities, third-party products, and open source software.
- Support data and process migration between internal systems, as well as platform authentication and application deployment e.g. Active Directory, Dell-Quest Authentication, and Docker).
- Manage Puppet infrastructure, distributing and enforcing standard configurations.
- Collaborate with management, customers, and team members to evaluate and recommend procurements of Linux hardware and software.
- Implement, support, and maintain multi-platforms, including Splunk, Nagios and other performance/monitoring technologies and utilize tools to monitor and support systems.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In Addition at the 393.2 Level
- Diagnose, troubleshoot, and resolve complex system and network related
- Serve as a technical leader, internal and external consultant in area of expertise, providing highly advanced technical assistance to the use community and collaborating with customers in the design of their computing environment.
- Implement highly advanced designs, produced in collaboration with data scientists and infrastructure architects.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a Computer, Information Technology, or Engineering related field or equivalent combination of technical training and experience.
- Broad and in-depth knowledge of and technical experience with Linux operating systems and related hardware.
- Experience with complex troubleshooting.
- Advanced ability to set priorities and independently resolve complex problems in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience patching operating systems and performing installation of software releases.
- Advanced knowledge of and experience distributing and enforcing standard configurations in Puppet infrastructure.
- Proficient interpersonal and communication (verbal and written) skills, with the ability to work independently and interact with a multi-disciplinary staff in a team environment.
- Experience and knowledge of the skills needed for a customer support role to include a focus on listening, rapport-building, friendly and approachable nature, courtesy and patience, and negotiating and influencing skills in a diverse user community with wide levels of computer literacy.
In Addition at the 393.2 Level
- Highly advanced knowledge of and significant technical experience with Linux operating systems, virtual environments, and/or related hardware.
- Experience mentoring employees in technical areas.
- Significant experience as a technical lead on advanced projects, achieving positive results, and driving projects to closure, on time and on budget.
- Broad and in-depth knowledge and technical expertise with enterprise support tools for management, patching, backup or software distribution, Linux operating systems and computer security concepts and practices, and computer network hardware/software protocols and principles.
- Experience with writing intermediate to advanced shell scripts.
- Experience with one or more of the following technologies: SPLUNK, Tenable Security Scanner, Nessus, Puppet/Chef or equivalent, Nagios, RHEL 6 and REHL 7, RHN Satellite, PKI authentications, Active Directory, Scripting, GIT, BIND, DNS, Perl, CSH/BASH, Docker and other container technologies.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.3 billion, employing approximately 6,900 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.