Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
The National Security Engineering Division (NSED) of the Engineering Directorate has an opening for a Mechanical Designer/Drawing Checker Senior Mechanical Designer/Drawing Checker in support of the Integrated Engineering and Design Group (IE&DG). This group supports a wide variety of customers and projects including Physical and Life Sciences (PLS), Weapons and Complex Integration (WCI), Global Security (GS), accelerator technologies, high-energy physics, energy, and others. The current opening will be with an accelerator project that is in support of the stockpile stewardship program. There will be frequent contact outside of the design group, and external to LLNL. This position is in the National Security Engineering Division (NSED) within the Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either the 334.1 or 339.2 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
- Provide innovative conceptual engineering design and development designs/proposals by preparing or directing others to generate initial layouts.
- Direct the design of apparatus, equipment, assemblies, facilities, utilities, and systems by interpreting and translating design concepts and layouts for the solution of complex and variable technical problems.
- Check drawings (form, fit, and function)rigorously against a to all applicable standards, specifications, and policies for completeness, clarity, and dimensional accuracy; perform tolerance analysis and stack-ups; Provide feedback and recommendations of drawing and design improvements.
- Interrogate assemblies/models validating design layouts and drawing documentation using CAD systems in adherence to LLNL drafting standards, CAD modeling practices, PDM requirements, specifications, and program requirements and standards.
- Collaborate with Project Management/Scientific staff and the Design team to provide timely interpretation and analysis of comprehensive design staff metrics; monitor team’s performance to ensure programmatic milestones and deliverables are met
- Maintain and develop professional relationships with staff and program management to ensure timely, cost effective execution of supportive design/drafting services; participate in mentoring opportunities with team members by coaching early career staff and learning from experienced team members.
- Direct Designers/Drafters through the various phases of the design/drafting/archival process as required
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In Addition, at the 339.2 level
- Provide highly advanced technical and related Lead expertise in the areas of applied engineering technology including planning, design, fabrication, project support, testing, and evaluation where the qualitative and quantitative complexity of the project assignment demands original and innovative problem solutions.
- Provide division and programmatic representation at meetings, briefings, and other activities both internal and external to the Laboratory.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering Design, or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Significant experience in mechanical design checking.
- Significant experience with engineering hardware design, fabrication, assembly techniques, materials, testing processes, and manufacturing methods.
- Advanced knowledge of CREO CAD and PTC Windchill (PDMLink) database management software.
- Advanced knowledge of the standards, procedures, and techniques related to drafting and/or advanced knowledge of ASME Y14.5M Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing Standard.
- Advanced understanding of function, fabrication, processes, and packaging of electronic systems and/or mechanical hardware.
- Experience identifying design deficiencies and recommending revisions in design layout to responsible engineers or designers.
- Advanced written, verbal and feedback communication and presentation skills.
In addition, at the 339.2 Level
- Extensive design experience with accelerator technologies and high/ultra-high vacuum design
- Advanced communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills necessary to effectively present, explain, and advise sponsors, management, and collaborators.
- Knowledge of LLNL drafting, procurement, and fabrication process.
- Active Department of Energy (DOE) L or Q-level clearance or an active Secret or Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.3 billion, employing approximately 6,900 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.