Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have an opening for an Applied Physicist/Engineer. You will work on Z-pinch plasma experiments, induction accelerator diagnostics, compact source experiments, and other technically challenging problems. You will travel as necessary to interact with sponsors and customers. Opportunities exist for collaborations with the Fusion Energy Sciences Program. This position is in the National Security Engineering Division (NSED), within the Engineering Directorate.
- Perform and conduct experimental campaigns and continue engineering upgrades of experiments and diagnostics in the following areas: Z-pinch plasmas, or compact sources.
- Serve as a technical expert in formal and ad hoc groups assembled to address pressing accelerator and radiation source applications in national security.
- Write periodic progress reports. Update safety plans/IWS’s in accordance with experimental needs.
- Maintain an awareness of technical literature in assigned areas.
- Prepare written analyses and verbal briefings that capture and communicate research results.
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals and present results at external conferences seminars and/or technical meetings.
- Travel as necessary to interact with sponsors and customers.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- PhD in Plasma Physics, Nuclear Engineering, or a related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Significant experience in operation and analysis of plasma experiments and plasma physics diagnostics.
- Advanced knowledge of plasma physics or nuclear engineering.
- Experience authoring technical and scientific reports and publications, and delivering scientific presentations.
- Experience developing research proposals.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information and provide advice to management.
- Ability to travel.
- Experience working with pulsed power technologies including spark gaps, thyratrons, ignitrons, and solid-state switches, capacitor banks and Marx generators, magnetic pulse compression, and pulse forming lines.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.3 billion, employing approximately 6,900 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.