Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
Do you thrive on big data problems? Do you have a passion for creating data ingestion and transformation pipelines? As a Data Engineer, your focus will be on brining order to the chaos of managing large amounts of data. If you are looking to effect change and make an impact from the ground up, keep reading.
We have an opening for a Data Engineer to help with developing a data management solution for our researchers. You will play a key role in helping to define and develop cutting edge on-prem cloud native computing environments. This position is in the Global Security Computing Applications Division (GS-CAD) within the Computing Directorate, matrixed to the Global Security Directorate.
- Collaborate with stakeholders, software developers, data scientist, and multidisciplinary teams to understand their data access and usage needs to assist with the development of a data infrastructure solution.
- Architect, develop and deploy moderately complex data pipelines to collect, clean, and store largescale, cross-functional datasets.
- Assist with the design of optimal storage, data structures, security, and retrieval mechanisms for data at rest in data lakes and analytics data store, or data in motion for real-time processing requirements.
- Participate in the implementation of a pluggable framework for data ingestion and transformation workflows used on data lakes.
- Assist with the development of a data infrastructure platform build on top of Kubernetes for our data scientists and big data researchers, in collaboration with your team.
- Document and version control the data infrastructure platform, using Git and Confluence; track/report work status in tickets using JIRA.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Broad experience working in data science teams to provide robust data engineering solutions or a background in Data science, Data mining, Multivariate statistics, Computer vision, or Machine learning.
- Effective analytical, problem-solving and decision-making skills to develop creative solutions to moderately complex problems and time management, organization, and planning skills with experience prioritizing concurrent technical tasks.
- Understanding of databases (e.g. SQL, NoSQL, MySQL, Mongo), and high-performance or distributed processing (e.g. using MapReduce, Spark, Pig, Presto, and/or Hive).
- Broad experience working effectively in a diverse development team environment.
- Proficient interpersonal skills necessary to interact with all levels of personnel and ability to work independently in a multi-disciplinary team environment.
- Experience with containerized environments (Docker or Kubernetes).
- Experience with machine learning and or developing big data applications.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.3 billion, employing approximately 6,900 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.