Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have an opening for a Planner & Coordinator/ Senior Planner & Coordinator to join our Machine Tool Services (MTS) group within the Manufacturing Engineering Section. You will apply planning and project management principles to contribute to and/or lead projects involving the installation and maintenance of existing and new manufacturing technologies. You will also become familiar with the ongoing priorities of the Manufacturing Engineering Section in support of all the different programs and develop proposals for future contributions to the success of program objectives. This position is in the Material Engineering Division (MED), within the Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either the 337.1 or 339.2 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
- Develop and implement rigorous project management methods and tools to ensure successful day to day execution of projects.
- Monitor project schedules by tracking project progress and providing regular updates to supervisor and other stakeholders regarding milestones, plans and problems that could significantly affect costs or schedules.
- Provide technical direction and leadership to cross-disciplinary teams as well as external vendors.
- Prepare supporting health and safety documentation that is aligned with the Integrated Safety Management (ISM) requirements and participate in design and Management Prestart Reviews.
- Collaborate with mission support organizations in operations and business (O&B), environmental safety and health (ES&H), and science, technology, and engineering (ST&E) to ensure successful project execution.
- May represent the manufacturing team on technical and administrative reviews that assess moderately complex to complex projects involving the maintenance, relocation and purchase of machine tools or other laboratory equipment.
- Implement project interfaces with other organizations internal and external to the Laboratory.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional Duties, at the 339.2 Level
- Provide leadership and/or subject matter expertise to team members and stakeholders.
- Collaborate independently with all levels of personnel internal and external to the Laboratory.
- Bachelor’s degree, or the equivalent combination of education and prior relevant experience.
- Significant experience planning and coordinating projects with a proven ability to apply these to both new and existing processes/equipment.
- Broad experience and comprehensive knowledge with project management or project planning experience including scope, schedule, cost, and quality.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively as part of a team with effective organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information and provide advice to management.
Additional Qualifications, at the 339.2 Level
- Advanced understanding of Machine Tools and modern manufacturing equipment.
- Experience leading, mentoring or managing a program/project team and/or workforce.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Manufacturing or Mechanical Engineering.
- Strong leadership skills.
- Experience in supporting manufacturing facilities, machines, and instruments.
- Active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or an active Top-Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency.
- Strong interpersonal skills with an emphasis on developing relationships and building long-term collaborations with internal and/or external sponsors.
- Experience with procuring equipment, services and mechanical components.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.3 billion, employing approximately 6,900 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.