Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have openings for a Mechanical Technologist's/Sr. Mechanical Technologists. You will apply innovative technical expertise for The ASD Scorpius Project under LLNL’s Enhanced Capability for Sub-Critical Experiment (ESCE) efforts. You will provide technical support for experimental research, prototype equipment development, installation, and commissioning primarily for a wide variety of complex high-voltage, high-current, and fast-switching pulse power research and development projects. The ESCE effort encompasses multiple DOE Management and Operating (M&O) contractors and industry partners. Some travel may be required. These positions are in the National Security Engineering Division (NSED), within the Engineering Directorate.
These positions will be filled at either the 533.2 or 533.3 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
- Prepare design, fabrication and assembly of mechanical systems/ equipment using a knowledge of design and mechanical system functions.
- Machine components using conventional lathe, mill and other manufacturing process machines.
- Collaborate with scientist, engineers, technicians, and high-level personnel to provide general technical support to various programmatic tasks.
- Incorporate intermediate knowledge of 3D CAD modeling of design concepts using SolidWorks CAD software.
- Use drafting, design, engineering, and scientific programs on computer systems to produce supportive documentation and graphics.
- Apply knowledge of materials and manufacturing processes in the solution of mechanical problems.
- Acquire and maintain LLNL Mechanical Competent Worker Qualifications.
- Ability to travel domestically and potentially internationally, for mechanical and customer support and interaction.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In Addition, at the 533.3 Level
- Provide advanced Mechanical or Electro-Mechanical design and drafting support where overall design parameters and specifications have been established.
- Contribute to preliminary design concepts for hardware, componentry, and systems including making independent judgment and decisions.
- Lead daily work scope activities of other technicians.
- Associate degree in one of the following: mechanical, industrial, manufacturing or the equivalent combination of education and previous relevant experience.
- Intermediate understanding of fabrication, machine tool technology and operation of conventional machine tools and inspection techniques.
- Intermediate technical skills and knowledge of engineering principles to solve moderately complex problems using established guidelines, techniques, and procedures.
- Experience designing moderately complex mechanical components or systems.
- Ability to complete and maintain certifications as required by the position.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs. in a safe and controlled manner.
- Ability to become medically qualified to wear respiratory and other protective equipment and perform moderate work effort while wearing respirators.
- Effective written and verbal communication, presentation, interpersonal and teamwork skills, and abilities.
In Addition, at the 533.3 Level
- Advanced understanding of machine tool technology and operation of conventional machine tool, and inspection techniques.
- Experience making decisions regarding a variety of complex technical problems and experience providing technical leadership.
- Significant experience working independently on complex technical assignments and proven ability to meet project requirements and deadlines.
- Experience working with nuclear/radiological materials.
- Knowledge of fundamentals of radiation, radioactive sources, and radiation detectors.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Note: This listing has multiple openings; these are Career Indefinite positions. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for these positions.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.3 billion, employing approximately 6,900 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.