Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
The Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) Nuclear Safety Functional Area has an opening for an Nuclear Safety Integration Manager to lead the LLLNL program efforts relating to policies, procedures, and implementation of Department of Energy (DOE) directives in the areas of nuclear safety (including Criticality Safety and Safety Basis), startup and restart of nuclear facilities, fissile material operations, and nuclear material storage. This position is in the Nuclear Safety Functional Area within the Environment, Safety and Health (ES&H) Directorate.
This position will be filled at either the TSS.4 or TSS.5 level depending on applicant qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
- Act as a technical expert for the Laboratory in interpreting guidance regarding compliance with the Department of Energy (DOE) orders and liaison with the Livermore DOE Field Office (LFO) on regulatory interpretation of DOE requirements.
- Administer and maintain a DOE O 425.1D Readiness Review Process that demonstrates compliance with DOE directives on startup/restart of nuclear facility operations.
- Serve as an integral member of the Nuclear Safety Functional Area management team to formulate and execute high level goal setting and strategic planning.
- Mentor, guide, and provide ultimate direction in order to maintain compliance with LLNL procedures, requirements imposed by the DOE contract, and applicable laws and regulations.
- Collaborate with other NNSA sites to support mission.
- Guide the implementation of nuclear safety requirements such as Documented Safety Analyses, Technical Safety Requirements, and Independent Verification Reviews of implementation in LLNL nuclear facilities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In Addition, at the TSS.5 Level:
- Provide expert level technical knowledge and institutional program leadership in various areas of nuclear safety in order to resolve highly unusual, complex and/or sensitive technical issues.
- Perform as Subject Matter Expert (SME) for DOE Order 425.1C, Nuclear Operations Facility Startup and Restart, for the startup of new or the restart of existing nuclear facilities and activities.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Nuclear Engineering, Engineering, Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics, or the equivalent combination of education and extensive related experience.
- Technical expertise and understanding of operational and experimental safety issues as they relate to fissile material operations.
- Extensive experience interpreting and evaluating nuclear safety requirements, and demonstrated ability to determine their applicability and impact on operations in LLNL nuclear facilities.
- Extensive experience interpreting and implementing nuclear facility policies, procedures, and practices.
- Extensive experience evaluating and proposing solutions for issues related to technical aspects of facility operations, and related activities subject to regulation under DOE/NNSA nuclear safety requirements.
- Extensive experience developing, conducting, and responding to DOE-driven assessments of nuclear safety implementation within nuclear facility operations.
In Addition, at the TSS.5 Level:
- Expert level knowledge of and experience with Federal regulations as they pertain to nuclear and radiological facilities in the DOE complex.
- Expert level written and verbal communication skills necessary to effectively present technical briefings to internal and external audiences, provide effective leadership of assessment teams, and interact with management and technical staff.
- Experience providing technical support for category 2/3 nuclear facilities and supporting complex nuclear operations.
- Experience collaborating with other DOE/NNSA sites regarding nuclear safety issues.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam: A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.3 billion, employing approximately 6,900 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.