Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have an opening for an Investigative Specialist/Assurance Specialist in the Security Incident Reporting Office. You will conduct investigations of alleged violations concerning the protection of classified or sensitive matter and will interact with all levels of LLNL personnel from a variety of disciplinary fields. This position is in the Assurance Management Office within the Security Organization (SO).
- Evaluate procedures and apply established policies to identify violations associated with classified or sensitive matter.
- Assist other investigators with planning, organizing and conducting investigations.
- Respond to potential security incidents reported by employees or other individuals, which may involve potential violations of DOE directives.
- Conduct follow-up inquiries of incidents and prepare basic investigative reports to present and document investigative activities, findings, and renderings to other team members and/or Security management.
- Conduct security awareness briefings with individuals and managers responsible for using and handling sensitive and classified matter.
- Track incidents of security concern, analyze data, and identify trends effectively utilizing and maintaining databases.
- Conduct self-assessments, performance tests and other associated performance assurance activities.
- Participate as a controller during SO performance tests.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in a security or related field, or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Knowledge of government orders and regulations governing a variety of safeguards and security disciplines including, but not limited to, incidents of security concern, classified matter protection control, physical security, and protective force.
- Experience assisting with preliminary and follow-up investigations, and documenting findings, with experience writing narrative reports.
- Experience conducting self-assessments and participating in audits.
- Experience exercising a high degree of discretion, sound judgment, and tact in handling sensitive issues.
- Analytical, problem solving and decision-making skills necessary to independently recommend appropriate actions and develop solutions.
- Communication and interpersonal skills to effectively present, direct, negotiate, influence and coordinate with all levels of management and staff internal and external to LLNL.
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) and FileMaker Pro.
- Accreditation in the use of the DOE Safeguards and Security Information Management System (SSIMS).
- Completion of the DOE Conduct of Inquiries and/or DOE Legal Aspects of Inquiries training.
- Experience conducting training/briefings on security related issues and conducting causal analyses.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam: A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.3 billion, employing approximately 6,900 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.