Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have an opening for a Waste Operations Team Lead. You will oversee a team of technicians to provide safe, efficient, and compliant waste management customer service to programs and facilities. Your team will work to identify, characterize, package, document and transport a variety of regulated wastes, including but not limited to hazardous, universal, medical, and radioactive wastes. This position is within the Radioactive and Hazardous Waste Management Program (RHWM).
This position will be filled at either the 304.1 or 304.2 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
* Manages day to day activities of team of approximately 8 including scheduling work assignments, training, and additional resources.
* Provide direct oversight of the following: transferring waste materials, bulk over-pack and lab-pack materials; open waste containers for verification, consolidation and accumulation of waste liquids and solids; and routine management and compliance inspection of WAAs and SAAs.
* Provide the necessary training and mentoring of all team members to ensure the team functions at a high-level.
* Provide oversight of spill response activities and/or direct oversight of operations in high-hazard and/or nuclear facilities.
* Work with waste generators, programs, facilities and RHWM personnel to develop innovative and cost-effective solutions to waste management issues.
* Contribute as a member of the Waste Generator Services group management team in the overall management of the group, planning projects and activities, and development of the annual budget.
* Wear PPE such as Tyvek and respirator while working in various enclosures (e.g., glove boxes) with radioactive and hazardous materials.
* Perform other duties as assigned.
In Addition at the 304.2 Level
* Provide advance waste management support and problem-solving skills, managing large projects independently.
* Oversee and lead advanced nuclear operations and/or spill response and/or contamination control capabilities.
* Provide SME level oversight of nuclear operations.
* Bachelor’s degree in environmental or related scientific field, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
* Fundamental knowledge of State and Federal regulations as they apply to waste management with demonstrated experience in their application.
* Understanding of waste management activities in generator areas, including Satellite Accumulation Areas.
* Highly advanced knowledge of RHWM’s waste management practices including Waste Disposal Requisitions (WDRs) and Information Gathering Documents (IGDs).
* Demonstrated experience leading teams and/or managing projects.
* Demonstrated organization skills, attention to detail, accuracy, and follow through.
* Thorough understanding of LLNL’s Work Planning and Control program.
* Ability to successfully complete all Federal, State, and LLNL training requirements including respirator fit test.
In Addition at the 304.2 Level
* Previous experience mentoring and training less knowledgeable employees.
* Demonstrated experience managing longer-term (i.e., many months to a year) small projects/assignments.
* Very highly advanced knowledge of the federal and state regulations governing waste management and/or advanced knowledge of RHWM’s waste management practices.
Desired Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
* In-depth knowledge of the Superblock’s generated wastes, work control practices, and general workflow.
* Currently certified as a Senior Fissile Material Handler or have the ability to obtain this certification quickly (i.e., within a few months).
* Currently possess a Q-clearance.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam: A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.3 billion, employing approximately 6,900 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.