Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have openings for Maintenance Mechanic Shop Leads. You will lead and perform day-to-day journey-level Maintenance Mechanic duties of plant and research facilities and assist crew supervisor in directing employees’ work activities. You will interact with coworkers, supervisors, building clients, Environmental Safety and Health technicians, and other craft personnel. This position is in the Infrastructure Engineering and Operations Department at Site 200 and may require work at Site 300 in Tracy, CA.
- Perform day-to-day duties of a journey-level maintenance mechanic and assist crew supervisor in directing work activities and administrative functions, establishing priorities, setting schedules, coordinating work, training new employees and apprentices, safety training and preparing reports.
- Make routine commitments related to assignments using technical authority and exercise significant authority with regard to safety.
- Determine and make decisions for the daily response to building equipment and utility alarms and emergency situations.
- Provide technical direction to Maintenance Mechanics and operate/maintain a wide variety of mechanical and electrical equipment/systems.
- Maintain plant and research equipment and systems operating, including natural gas systems, compressed air and water systems (city, low conductivity and demineralized), working from drawings, and verbal or written instructions.
- Repair water pumps, vacuum pumps, LN2 dewars, air compressors, valves, and other plant equipment.
- Build and operate specialized mechanical systems and devices. Monitor, operate high pressure steam boilers, take corrective measures in the event of malfunctions within specified time according to State codes.
- Analyze basic to complex data and prepare standard reports, follow permit requirements, complete deficiency forms and preventive maintenance work requests.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- High School diploma or apprentice training completion, or equivalent combination of education and related work experience.
- Significant experience and advanced and specialized skills in the maintenance mechanic trade.
- Experience in plant electrical and mechanical maintenance and/or plant maintenance surveillance, and/or stationary engineer.
- Technical leadership experience and effective skills and ability to make independent decisions, solve problems, schedule workload, and effectively utilize manpower.
- Journey-level experience operating and maintaining a wide variety of mechanical and electrical equipment such as pumps, valves, and flow controls associated with heating, air conditioning, water supply, sewage treatment and related operating systems and utilities.
- Demonstrated advanced customer service and communication skills necessary to interact effectively with clients and a multi-disciplinary team and the ability to work independently or as a team member, and as a lead.
- Basic knowledge and experience with computers for timekeeping and job tracking, including written communication skills necessary to appropriately complete forms, work orders, and write reports that are concise and readable.
- Experience applying ES&H codes, laws and regulations, program, and facility specific training.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a valid California Driver's License and demonstarted ability to work scheduled shift work (day, swing, owl) as well as emergency overtime.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam: A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite or At Will appointment. Only Laboratory employees with Career Indefinite or At Will status may apply for this position. If final candidate is an At Will employee, At Will status may be maintained based on funding considerations. Employees assigned to work at Site 300 may be exposed to the organism that causes San Joaquin Valley Fever (coccidioidomycosis).
The Laboratory performs a variety of work, including some that may fall under Davis Bacon Act requirements. When work scope falls under this Act, the Laboratory complies with the prevailing wage requirements.