Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have an opening for a Technical Coordinator/Sr. Technical Coordinator to support the National Ignition Facility (NIF) and Photon Sciences (PS). NIF is the world’s most powerful and energetic laser. You will be responsible for providing general technical and administrative coordination for the acquisition and fabrication of general electronics instrumentation, hardware and data acquisition systems, and mechanical equipment and hardware for various projects. This position is in the National Ignition Facility (NIF) and Photon Science (NIF&PS) Directorate.
This position will be filled at either the 538.2 or 538.3 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
- Provide general coordination and support for multiple technical projects and/or activities with evolving requirements and priorities under general supervision.
- Maintain appropriate records and summaries to support project needs. Provide award/delivery status updates to supervisor and customers/requesters. Anticipate and reconcile supply problems, including technical factors affecting critical milestones.
- Collaborate with and provide technical support to designers, technicians, machinists, engineers, internal organizations, outside suppliers, and vendors on multiple large and small moderately complex projects, sometimes involving hazardous materials.
- Support acquisition and fabrication of general electronics instrumentation, hardware and data acquisition systems, and mechanical equipment and hardware activities for NIF&PS Directorate.
- Support Designers and Engineers in reviewing moderately complex drawings and electrical schematics and other related technical information while applying appropriate standards, procedures, and techniques to screen parts sources. Review vendor proposed fabrication processes, pricing, and delivery schedules.
- Process general internal fabrication packages through LLNL fabrication facilities.
- Provide Technical Release Representative (TRR) services requiring intermediate skills and understanding of purchasing requirements and regulations.
- Strictly adhere to laboratory safety and security guidelines, and regulations, and perform all assignments in accordance with ES&H, security, and business practice requirements and policies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In Addition, at the 538.3 Level
- Prepare complex technical procurement packages for electro/mechanical fabrications including specifications and statements of work, as well as quality assurance and inspection requirements.
- Monitor procurement deliverables and provide technical interface between LLNL and supplier, e.g. on time deliverables, milestone reviews, and technical resolutions during processing.
- Make independent decisions regarding fabrication alternatives, supplier selections and substitute hardware and materials using LLNL guidelines, techniques, and procedures under minimal supervision.
- Associate degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering Technology, or equivalent combination of education and previous relevant experience.
- Intermediate skills, knowledge, and abilities in procurement and coordination of materials and equipment.- Intermediate level knowledge and understanding of moderately complex conventional manufacturing and fabrication techniques, general electronics instrumentation, hardware and data acquisition systems, and mechanical equipment and hardware.
- Experience in customer service or support organization and proven ability to interact with a diverse and demanding customer base.
- Experience working independently and as a team member with effective problem-solving skills. Ability to manage multiple competing priorities while meeting specific programmatic technical and reporting requirements.
- Effective written and verbal communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills necessary to interact effectively with a diverse workforce.
- Knowledge of office computer software, common operating systems, and common word processing, spreadsheet, and databases.
- Ability to acquire and maintain Technical Release Representative (TRR) certification to allowing purchasing authority.
In Addition, at the 538.3 Level
- Advanced skills, knowledge, and abilities in procurement and coordination of complex materials and equipment.
- Advanced knowledge and experience in decision making for fabrication alternatives, supplies selections and materials.
- Ability to work independently, under minimal supervision.
- Intermediate level knowledge and understanding of ASME Y14.5 Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing.
- Knowledge and use of Microsoft Project to construct accurate budget estimates and schedules.
- High level understanding of machine tool and electronics technology.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.3 billion, employing approximately 6,900 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.