Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have an opening for an Electro-Mechanical Design Drafter or Designer. You will provide EE design and drafting support including electronic and mechanical design, drawing and data management of control/diagnostic systems and sub systems in support of the National Ignition Facility and Photon Sciences (NIF&PS) Directorate. You will develop, interpret and translate concepts into design layouts, with supportive calculations and documentation. This position is in the Laser Systems Engineering and Operations (LSEO) Division, within the Engineering Directorate.
- Provide general Electro-Mechanical drafting and limited design support to lead designers, engineering, scientific and technical staff utilizing knowledge of CAD tools where design parameters and specifications have been established.
- Perform basic calculations to support technical work using standard engineering formulas.
- Process drawings and other technical information using database management software.
- Maintain systems documentation and experimental records.
- Provide graphics and related technical material in support of design reviews, procedures and other documentation.
- Check completed drawings and other documentation for adherence to LLNL drafting standards and specifications.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In Addition at the 534.3 Level
- Provide advanced Electro-Mechanical design and drafting support where overall design parameters and specifications have been established.
- Contribute to preliminary design concepts for hardware, componentry and systems including making independent judgment and decisions under moderate technical authority.
- Estimate scheduling & costs to determine effective methods in design, materials and time to meet project deliverables and prepare and present technical material for design reviews, procedures and other related documentation.
- Associate Degree in Electro-Mechanical Drafting; or relevant AA/AS Degree containing significant science, mathematics, electronics and engineering coursework with related experience; or Certificate in Engineering Technology- Electro-Mechanical Drafting with related experience; or an equivalent combination of education and extensive related experience.
- Intermediate knowledge of the standards, procedures, and techniques related to drafting including knowledge of ASME Y14.5M Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing Standard.
- Ability to solve moderately complex technical problems.
- Understanding of function, fabrication, processes and packaging of electronic systems and mechanical hardware.
- Ability to read and follow engineering notes, sketches, drawings specifications and procedures.
- Effective written and verbal communication and presentation skills.
In Addition at the 534.3 Level
- Advanced knowledge of ASME Y14.5M Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing Standard and proficient use of CAD software.
- Understanding of electrical and mechanical design principles.
- Working knowledge in PCB designs, electrical schematics, engineering hardware design, fabrication, assembly techniques, materials, testing processes and manufacturing methods.
- Proficient user of AutoCAD, Creo Parametric, Creo Schematics, GerbTool and database management (Windchill) software.
- Proficient user of Mentor Graphics PADS PCB design software.
- Expertise in the selection of high voltage, fiber-optic, control and communication cabling, terminations and connectors and extensive experience in design of components and hardware related to diagnostic & testing equipment.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.3 billion, employing approximately 6,900 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.