Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have an opening for an experienced Unified Communications Engineer to provide production voice and video services architecture, implementation, and support for the Laboratory’s enterprise voice and video conferencing services. These services are delivered utilizing a wide array of technologies including Cisco Unified Communications Call Manager (CUCM), Cisco Automatic Call Distribution (ACD)/Contact Center, Cisco Jabber Soft Phone, VoIP Phones, Unity voicemail system, Cisco Telepresence and WebEx video Endpoints, and Cisco Meeting Server. This position is in the Enterprise Infrastructure Services Division (EIS) within the Computing Directorate, in support of the LivIT program.
This position will be filled at either the 393.1 or 393.2 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
- Perform architecture design, implementation, and support for production Voice over IP (VoIP) and video services such as Cisco Unified Call Manager (CUCM), Voicemail, Cisco Unified Contact Center Express (UCCX), IP phones, softphone clients (e.g. Jabber) on PC/Mac/iOS/Android platforms, Cisco WebEx Suite of products and WebEx endpoints, and other IP-telephony and video products as required.
- Serves as technical resource for the troubleshooting and resolution of complex telecom and communication problems.
- Develop and/or integrate software tools in support of production voice and video endpoints and systems.
- Adhere to Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) processes and procedures for Change, Release and Problem Management.
- Understand and follow appropriate security policies and procedures.
- Participate in broad, independent interactions with all levels of personnel within the Laboratory, including working with vendors as necessary to research available technologies, and resolve technical issues.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In Addition at the 393.2 Level
- Work on advanced projects related to the design and development of VoIP, Video Conferencing, Contact Center, Instant Messaging, Unified Messaging, and Unified Communication and Workflow systems. Plans projects; establishes timelines and completes cost analysis; including vendor comparisons.
- Bachelor’s degree in a computer or engineering related fields or equivalent combination of technical training and experience.
- Broad knowledge of video conference solutions; telecom systems; dial plans; switching architecture; unified communication systems; structured cabling.
- Broad technical experience implementing enterprise services and providing technical support in an enterprise unified communications environment.
- Experience providing operational and technical support and testing expertise of VoIP and video conferencing technologies including current & relevant Cisco Systems Unified Communication and WebEx suite of products and related systems.
- Experience working with communication platforms such as, CUCM, UCCX/UCCE and Unity Communications.
- Experience troubleshooting highly technical issues in telecommunications and networking services.
- Proficient interpersonal, verbal and written communications skills, with an ability to effectively communicate technical information, document work and prepare/present technical information to others.
- Ability to work independently with a high degree of maturity, discretion, and judgment.
In Addition at the 393.2 Level
- Highly-advanced knowledge of and significant technical experience with unified communication systems, virtual environments, and/or related hardware.
- Highly-advanced analytical skills to analyze complex telecommunications systems and networks.
- Significant experience as a technical lead on advanced projects, achieving positive results, and driving projects to closure, on time and on budget.
- Cisco CCNA/CCNP Collaboration or equivalent experience
- Programming experience with Python/Ansible
- Experience with VMWare Virtual environments and/or containerized environments (Docker or Kubernetes).
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.3 billion, employing approximately 6,900 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.