Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have an opening for a Sheet Metal Fabricator II/III. You will provide basic journeyman sheet metal/welding fabrication skills and general manufacturing support to fabricate and process parts to customer requirements. This position requires close technical interactions with shop planners and supervision, as well as customers. You will report to the Area Shop Supervisor in the Manufacturing Engineering Section under the Materials Engineering Division (MED).
This position may require the successful candidate have the flexibility to work overtime, shift and or weekends to accomplish goals. The successful candidate will be required to pass various on-site training modules to pursue work assignments.
This position will be filled at either the 971.2 or 971.3 level, depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
- Perform intermediate journey-level fabrication operations involving conventional sheet metal shop equipment, welding processes and related manufacturing equipment.
- Use basic welding and conventional sheet metal shop tools, measuring tools, and shop accessories.
- Perform shop calculations utilizing knowledge of material characteristics to determine overall design intent.
- Provide solutions or alternative approaches to solve basic technical manufacturing problems.
- Assemble metal components to prepare for welding.
- Fabricate fixtures and holding devices used during welding and manufacturing processes.
- Provide general shop support activities in support of Area Shops.
- Perform all assignments in accordance with ES&H, security, and business practice requirements and policies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In Addition, at the 971.3 Level
- Perform advanced journey-level fabrication operations involving conventional sheet metal shop equipment, welding processes and related manufacturing equipment.
- Provide solutions or alternative approaches to solve complex technical manufacturing problems.
- An Associate degree in mechanical, industrial, or manufacturing technology or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Intermediate Journeyman level experience equivalent to completion of an apprenticeship program in the fabrication technology.
- Basic experience using related shop equipment, hand tools, and measuring instruments.
- Basic knowledge of ANSI Y14.5 drafting standards (read and interpret blueprints) to produce parts and assemblies.
- Basic technical knowledge in sheet metal operations, procedures, standards, and techniques in a variety of materials and related equipment (e.g., MIG, TIG welding).
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills.
In Addition, at the 971.3 Level
- Advanced Journeyman level experience equivalent to completion of an apprenticeship program in the fabrication technology.
- Experience utilizing effective written, verbal, feedback and presentation communication skills.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam: A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.3 billion, employing approximately 6,900 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.