Science and Technology on a Mission!
For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place.
We have an opening for a Nuclear Facility Operator to support ongoing activities to ensure the operational readiness of nuclear facilities. You will solve complex technical problems and implement technical guidelines, nuclear facility standards, specifications, and procedures. Work may involve Beryllium, radioactive/fissile materials, other hazardous materials, and classified parts and documents. This position is in the Defense Technologies Engineering Division (DTED), within the Engineering Directorate.
- Control and monitor operations associated with engineered safety features as identified in Building Documented Safety Analyses (DSA’s) and control and monitor operating support systems that could affect engineered safety features.
- Ensure that change controls, monitoring parameters, and procedures associated with facility systems are within the approved safety envelope.
- Ensure the maintenance of all facility systems.
- Perform daily pre-operational checks and verifying that the minimum staffing requirements are met before opening facilities for approved activities.
- Ensure that compliance with the facilities Limiting Conditions for Operations (LCO’s) is maintained, and perform actions when LCO’s or surveillance requirements are not met.
- Ensure that the facility surveillance requirements are performed within the required frequency and in accordance with approved procedures by trained personnel.
- Support and assist the Nuclear Materials Technology Program Facilities Operations and Maintenance manager with day-to-day facility operations.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- AS degree in engineering technology or related field, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience with personal computers and associated desktop office software used for mechanical/electronics fabrication assembly design and coordination of schedules, system details, and project quality.
- High level understanding and ability to interpret ASME Y14.5 Dimensioning and Tolerancing and identify and specify component standards and specifications.
- Demonstrated ability to identify and resolve complex technical problems.
- Experience reviewing, tracking, and monitoring of service work orders regarding estimates, schedules, and status.
- Demonstrated effective written and verbal communication, feedback, and presentation skills.
- Ability to work overtime/weekends and adjusted schedules, as needed.
- Ability to complete and maintain certification as a Certified Facility Operator, become medically qualified to wear respiratory and other protective equipment, and perform moderate work effort while wearing respirators, secure and maintain certification in the Nuclear Facility Certified Position Program which includes medical evaluation and random drug and alcohol testing.
- Experience working with radioactive/fissile materials within a nuclear facility or power plant.
- Experience fulfilling Work Control process and procedure requirements and Quality Assurance/Quality Control documentation skills used in an engineering environment.
- Ability to train others and provide technical direction to team members.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam: A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test.
Anticipated Clearance Level: Q (Position will be cleared to this level). Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $1.5 billion, employing approximately 6,000 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.