Science and Technology on a Mission!
For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place.
We have an opening for a Data Storage Group Leader in the Livermore Computing (LC) Division that delivers High Performance Computing (HPC) platforms, software, and services to Laboratory programs. As a member of the LC management team, you will help to set strategy and develop innovative solutions on current and next-generation HPC platforms in addition to ensuring the effective operation of the HPC center. This administrative position is funded at 15-20% time; you must secure the remainder of the funding for a technical position within the HPC storage area. This position is in the Computing Department within the Computation Directorate.
This position will be filled at either the SEL.3 or SEL.4 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
- Supervise and provide technical direction/guidance for a team of 10+ computer scientists who support production High Performance Storage System (HPSS) archives on multiple networks including recruiting, onboarding, training, mentoring, and writing performance appraisals.
- Advise and evaluate staff on the execution of technical work and facilitate periodic career development discussions.
- Establish and maintain partnerships with programmatic and administrative leaders and groups to ensure effective communication, teamwork, and customer satisfaction.
- Apply innovative tools or approaches to the work of the Data Storage Group and the LC Division.
- Use advanced knowledge of data storage systems and software to provide solutions to complex problems that require in-depth analysis of tangible and intangible factors and be proficient in the implementation or operation of the related HPC technologies.
- Participate in the planning, budgeting, technology evaluation, and decision making with the LC management team.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In Addition at the SEL.4 Level
- Provide solutions to highly complex and sensitive problems both technical and administrative and act as a technical advisor to guide and influence technical direction for projects and the group.
- Support management in attracting and retaining projects, programs, funding and staff; plan the integration and manage the implementation of new projects for current and future initiatives.
- Represent LLNL in external interactions with sponsors, vendors and the HPC community.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, or related field, or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Advanced knowledge and significant experience in computer science in data storage, HPSS, and additional areas such as parallel file systems, systems software, data management, and HPC systems administration.
- Demonstrated leadership ability in a technical environment and interpersonal skills to effectively interact with peers, group members, and user communities in diverse scientific areas.
- Demonstrated effective analytical and problem-solving skills to contribute technically to teams solving complex HPC problems while handling multiple priorities and tasks.
- Comprehensive knowledge of one or more storage systems hardware components (e.g., Oracle/Spectra Logic robotics, Oracle/IBM tape drives, DDN/NetApp/Hitachi FC/SAS disk devices, Brocade FC switches).
- Ability to occasionally travel for meetings, training, and conferences and to work on-call as part of a rotation.
-Advanced verbal and written communication, and collaboration skills necessary to present, explain, and provide advice to management.
In Addition at the SEL.4 Level
- Substantial experience effectively leading and supervising technical teams and demonstrated ability to delegate effectively and to lead, motivate, and build highly complex, interdisciplinary teams to work toward both programmatic and institutional goals.
- Subject matter expert in computer science in areas relevant to HPC.
- Significant experience participating in technical project reviews and experience effectively planning the integration and implementation of new programs or operational best practices.
- Master's degree in computer science, or related field.
- Broad and deep knowledge of a range of HPC hardware, applications, libraries, tools, or systems-level software.
- Experience interacting with HPC users and developers of large simulation software systems.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test.
Security Clearance: This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at time of hire.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $1.5 billion, employing approximately 6,000 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.