Science and Technology on a Mission!
For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place.
We have an opening for a Software Engineer to develop, design, test, deploy, and maintain web applications for the National Ignition Facility (NIF), the largest and most energetic laser in the world. Your contributions will enable configuration of this highly complex laser system. This position is in the NIF Computing Applications (NIFC) Division within the Computation Directorate.
This position will be filled at either the SES.2 or SES.3 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
- Develop innovative and effective web-based visualization applications, in collaboration with customers and other software developers, using a defined software development process.
- Develop and maintain applications used to plan and define experiments at NIF.
- Document all designs and maintain software and design configuration control in support of the experiments.
- Develop software frameworks for a data-processing cluster and terabyte-scale database containing all the experimental data produced by the NIF.
- Develop web-based visualization applications to distribute NIF data to the user community.
- Develop tools to facilitate world-class scientific collaboration.
- Develop system interfaces between applications using modern web-based frameworks.
- Participate in the entire software development lifecycle.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In Addition at the SES.3 Level
- Design and develop frameworks and subsystems to simplify development of NIF applications.
- Lead requirements analysis, software design and implementation, documentation, testing of significant software subsystem.
- Investigate industry trends in modern user interface design, to help in providing a multi-year plan for the user interface frameworks.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Comprehensive knowledge of and experience with object-oriented development, such as with Java, C++ or Python.
- Experience with web-based user-interface design using HTML5 and CSS3.
- Experience with relational databases such as Oracle or MySQL.
- Experience with IntelliJ or other IDEs.
- Comprehensive knowledge and experience with design and current architectural patterns, including REST.
- Proficient interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills necessary to interact with all levels of personnel, present and explain technical information, and collaborate effectively in a multi-disciplinary team environment.
In Addition at the SES.3 Level
- Significant experience in a senior web application development role.
- Significant experience in object-oriented analysis, design and development, particularly with Java.
- Possess advanced analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills to develop creative solutions to complex problems.
- Knowledge of database connectivity techniques and tools such as JDBC, EclipseLink, or Hibernate.
- Experience with application servers (e.g., WebLogic, WildFly, Tomcat) and developing REST web services.
- Experience with automated build tools (e.g., Gradle, Maven, Ant) and automated test tools (e.g., JUnit, SoapUI).
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $1.8 billion, employing approximately 6,500 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.