Science and Technology on a Mission!
For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place.
We have an opening for an Electro-Mechanical Designer to support new and on-going projects for the National Ignition Facility & Photon Sciences (NIF&PS) Directorate within the Facility Infrastructure and Systems group (FiNS). You will provide advanced computer aided design and drafting support, configuration management of CAD objects for state-of-the-art diode pumped laser systems along with their support systems. This position is in the Laser Science Engineering Organization (LSEO), within the Engineering Directorate. LSEO provides support to the NIF&PS Directorate and its associated Programs.
- Provide advanced electrical, mechanical or electro-mechanical drafting and design support to engineering, scientific, and technical staff utilizing knowledge of CAD tools where design parameters and specifications have been established.
- Process complex drawings and other technical information using database management software based on the PTC Windchill platform.
- Make recommendations for preliminary design concepts for systems infrastructure based upon customer requirements including making independent judgment and decisions under general technical authority.
- Estimate scheduling and costs to determine effective methods in design, materials, and time to meet project deliverables. Prepare and present formal technical material for design reviews, procedures, and other related documentation.
- Perform basic calculations to support technical work using standard engineering formulas.
- Independently apply appropriate standards to develop designs, create CAD objects, check completed drawings and other documentation for adherence to LLNL drafting standards and specifications.
- Under minimal supervision, work independently on projects and/or contribute to team projects.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Associate degree in Mechanical or Electro-Mechanical Drafting; or relevant degree containing significant science, mathematics, electronics, and engineering coursework with prior relevant experience; or Certificate in Engineering Technology, Mechanical or Electronic Drafting with prior relevant experience; or an equivalent combination of education and prior relevant experience.
- Advanced knowledge in Computer Aided Design/Product Lifecycle management (CAD/PLM) design, hardware design, fabrication, assembly techniques, materials, testing processes and manufacturing methods.
- Advanced knowledge of the standards, procedures, and techniques related to drafting including knowledge of the ASME Y14.5M Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing Standard.
- Advanced understanding of electrical and mechanical design principles and demonstrated ability to solve complex technical problems.
- Advanced knowledge of engineering hardware design principles, fabrication, and installation processes.
- Working knowledge of developing complex design concepts with a broad background in a wide variety of various sub-disciplines.
- Ability to read and follow engineering notes, sketches, drawings specifications and procedures.
- Effective written and verbal communication, presentation and feedback skills necessary to lead and provide direction to others.
- Significant applied experience with AutoCAD, Creo Parametric 3 and PTC Windchill Product Lifecycle Management software.
- Advanced knowledge in utility infrastructure designs, utility drawings (block diagrams, plan/elevation/detail drawings) and electrical infrastructure material including supports, raceway, enclosures, cabling and wiring devices.
- Intermediate knowledge of National Electrical Code (NEC) and LLNL building standards.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $1.8 billion, employing approximately 6,500 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.