Science and Technology on a Mission!
For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place.
We have openings for Post College Appointees in the Nuclear Operations Directorate (NOD), which includes the Safety Basis Division (SBD). You will provide technical support relative to several of the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) nuclear and radiological facilities (e.g., Radiography Facility, Hardened Engineering Test Building, Tritium Facility, Plutonium Facility, and the Waste Storage Facilities) and explosives facilities (e.g., Site 300, HEAF).
- Present informal progress reports to supervisor/mentor on a regular basis.
- Work safely and efficiently on multiple projects simultaneously
- Review, write, and provide input and support to various documents depending on the specific appointment (e.g., safety basis calculations, Unreviewed Safety Question (USQ) documents, Documented Safety Analyses (DSAs), Technical Safety Requirements (TSRs).
- Assist with reviewing, from a broad technical perspective, the structures, systems, components, processes, materials, wastes, and/or potential energy sources used in facilities; monitor and support the operational status of facility systems.
- Perform technical/scientific assignments at a basic to moderate degree of complexity and provide technical support to engineers and scientists in scientific research and development projects.
- Gather and analyze data and information in support of the work activity.
- Participate in research planning and evaluation discussions.
- Attend relevant seminars and/or conferences.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Recent Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Physics, Chemistry, Materials Science, or Engineering (e.g., nuclear, mechanical, structural, electrical, chemical, explosives, or related) within two years of application.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills necessary to work in a collaborative work environment and to document and present work results.
- Ability to evaluate proposed changes relevant to nuclear facilities and/or their operations.
- Ability to prepare technical documents following appropriate NOD analytical protocols (e.g., safety basis calculations, USQD).
- Ability to support ongoing operations and modifications in LLNL facilities where at times the work may not be well defined.
- Familiarity with nuclear facilities (e.g., DOE, Commercial Power, Navy Nuclear) or high hazard facilities (e.g., refineries, explosives facilities), and their operations.
- Experience in safety analysis or as a system engineer is strongly desired.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires either no security clearance, or a Department of Energy (DOE) L-level or Q-level clearance depending on the location of the assignment.
If you are selected and a security clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. L and Q-level clearances require U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a one-year Post College Appointee with the possibility of extension to a maximum of two years. Eligible candidates are recent graduates within two years of the month of the Bachelors degree at the time of the employment offer.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $1.8 billion, employing approximately 6,500 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.