Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher to conduct research on the fundamental nature of the neutrino within the Nuclear and Particle Physics group, in the Nuclear and Chemical Sciences Division. You will develop concepts and make independent contributions to our neutrino and nuclear science experimental work, with a primary focus on research and development for the nEXO neutrinoless double beta decay experiment that aims to understand the quantum nature of the neutrino.
- Participate in development of the nEXO experiment.
- In coordination with the scientists and engineers of the nEXO team at LLNL, design and perform R&D measurements to understand the origin of high voltage instabilities in liquid xenon.
- Support the commissioning and research activities on the nEXO high-voltage test-bed being constructed at LLNL.
- Take an active role in building the foundation of LLNL’s contributions to the analysis of the experimental data once the experiment becomes operational.
- Perform independent research and provide solutions for experimental physics.
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals and present results at external conferences, seminars, and/or technical meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Recent PhD in nuclear or high-energy physics or related field.
- Knowledge of radiation detectors R&D, in particular for rare event detection.
- Experience with C++ and ROOT or other software for data analysis
- Ability to work independently on complex technical tasks, exert influence on technical objectives, provide analyses, and develop unique technical solutions.
- Initiative and interpersonal skills with desire and ability to work in a collaborative, multidisciplinary team environment.
- Proficient written and verbal communication skills necessary to deliver presentations and prepare written reports.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: None required.
However, if your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.)
Note: This is a 2 year Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of 3 years. Eligible candidates are those who have been awarded a PhD at time of hire date.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.1 billion, employing approximately 6,800 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.